Mass Expolosion In Lebanon's Capital, Beirut

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Martin Alonzo, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

Dubai is in the UAE? I've been trying to decipher articles about Israel, Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Iran and the interwoven politics of the area without much luck. I don't know whether I want to defend Israel or condemn her.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is really odd. When I looked on YouTube to see if there was any good video of the fire, it does have it, but shows it as happening several days ago.
    Yet, it is still being reported in the news as happening right now. So, I don’t know if this is a different fire, but the description seems about the same. Here is another news report of the fire.

318C4F1F-7088-4345-86F5-1E8AB1B87E4C.jpeg

3. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh well, what's a few more among the many cities on fire these days?

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Giuliani's "Broken Windows" philosophy on steroids, huh?

Lois Winters likes this.
  5. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

There's the simple answer to global warming. Now, all we need are a few rip roaring earthquakes, some volcanic eruptions and a tsunami or two to round out the picture and keep some people quite occupied.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

I read an article on an astronomy website stating that about 50% of the Earth's recent rise in temperature is due to an extended period without significant volcanic eruptions. It seems that the volcanic ash that's suspended in the atmosphere reflects back sunlight. As the ash dissipated over time, more sunlight gets through and the surface temperature gradually increases. Right now the atmosphere is cleaner than it has been in decades.

Here are side-by-side photos of lunar eclipses as seen through our atmosphere:

[​IMG]

7. Dwight Ward

Registered

John, explain this to me if you have the patience. What is the 'Broken Windows' philosophy and how does it apply to burning cities? I'd rather get it from you than to hunt on the net.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Dwight Ward

Registered

Global warming is so complex an event that the experts don't understand all the factors involved. What we do know is that Greenland glaciers are melting, the Arctic ocean is not freezing and Antarctic ice shelves are disappearing. The oceans are rising at an alarming rate. It does not matter if the high co2 levels from industry caused it in the first place. What we do know is that lowering co2 levels can slow the rate of warming. The survival of higher life on Earth may be at stake. We can not afford to look at this through an ideological lens.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I'll sure try.

Guliani was tough on "low level"crimes because he knew that an area full of broken windows gave the appearance of being run down where nobody cared, thus inviting more egregious crimes. One broken window invites another rock. Lots of broken windows are irresistible. Then that environment lowers the standards of behaviour, because it screams "Nobody cares!" This is where "Stop & Frisk" was controversial, but it reduced crime (we could have a real conversation over that!) Think of an unkempt home, where another pile of stuff is background noise and invites another pile of stuff, versus a well-kept home where clutter sticks out and invites respect.

So Lois' comment "Oh well, what's a few more among the many cities on fire these days?" is just that. Chaos is now the norm, so another burning city is not a crisis that stands out, it's just another burning city.

And now that burning cities is the baseline, more violence is not as shocking. It's just incremental, especially if it is common across the nation. And letting the little things go invites bigger things (although arson is not a little thing.)

10. John Brunner

In other words, we have no idea what the reality is, so we must treat it as a crisis because the risk of not doing so is so great.

"May be," "might be," "could be."
    That's control through the argument of hyperbole.

11. Dwight Ward

Registered

Thanks so much. That's clear as a bell. Normally I'd oppose any such thing as stop and frisk but in the case of an area where crime is out of control it might be justified as an emergency measure to be left off when the situation improved.

12. Dwight Ward

Registered

Huge explosion above Chinese city:

13. Yvonne Smith

14. Dwight Ward

Registered

I'm not sure but they look like two different events. In mine it says no one was hurt. In yours six were killed. In mine the city is identified as Shenyang.

Repost without https://
    www.express.co.uk/news/world/1319421/China-explosion-lightning-fireball-bomb-fears-Shenyang-video-latest-news

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  15. Yvonne Smith

There was a massive fire in China this morning, at one of their 5G factories. No information that I saw about how it was started, or if they are still trying to find that out.
    We have definitely had a lot of these factory-type of fires this year !

https://www.rt.com/news/501678-fire-huawei-5g-lab/

8A1D1447-0118-4A6A-B00A-C4E5CC75ECC3.jpeg