Mattress Toppers Do You Have One?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I am at this moment having a two inch gel infused Mattress Topper put on my bed in an attempt to sleep better tonight. I have an excellent mattress and hope this topper will give me added comfort.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes my husband has one on his bed ..it's 4 inches thick and on top of a very good mattress.. he sleeps like a top....

I used to have one on my bed, but I found it got too hot for me..

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, my mattress is comfortable enough.

4. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't.

Years ago I had a 2" foam topper and it was a pain to keep in place so I gave up on it.

I have seen the gel toppers advertised and I hope that you will keep us posted on it works for you.

I like the idea of the cooler sleeping that gel is supposed to provide.

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

No toppers. Don't even like a pillow top mattress. It wraps up around you from below, and feels hot, to me. Maybe it comes from living in the humidity zone of the U.S. for too long

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

All I need is a long body pillow. At home I use a king size pillow to hug and lean on or put between legs, etc.

Was having trouble sleeping at my daughter's so the second day I was here my daughter bought a long body pillow from Costco for me....Ive slept like a baby since....it's my snuggle bunny and I'm taking it home with me. :)

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

While still living back in Illinois, and still a YOUNG man, I might add (I left there at 30), frequent lower back pain finally sent me to my dr. He had a few X-Rays taken, decided there was nothing really wrong; he told me to try sleeping on a hard flat surface and see what happens. I spread a couple blankets on the floor over our carpeting in the living room. Tough going, at first. But, surprise, after a few nights, the back pain subsided! We then bought an orthopedic (read that very firm and stiff) mattress and box spring, King-size at that, and never had back pain again. That hard bed lasted a mighty long time, too. Traveled from Chicago to Vegas, to Colorado, Indiana, Phoenix, a total of 28 years, couldn't wear the damned thing out! Left it when we went to Missouri, mostly because it wouldn't fit the bedroom in our "new" 100-year old farmhouse! Frank

[​IMG]

8. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have one of those padded mattress toppers, but it is not like one of the thick foam ones that I have seen. Since we have a Sleep Number bed, we mostly sleep pretty comfortably with just that.
    The Sleep Number bed has a padded top that is part of the mattress anyway, so we really wouldn’t even need the mattress topper that we have, but it does help to protect the mattress.
    In the summer, a gel pad might be nice, and especially one of those gel pillows; but now that it is chilly at night, we do not need anything that is cooler.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Back in August we purchased the Ghost bed, as daughter loved hers and thought we would also. Um, maybe, we are getting use to it, but very hard compared to our other mattress.We did buy a topper to go on top and that has helped - though it is not overly thick, it does make a difference.

11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I had my best night in months last nite. I like the topper.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yes, we have at least one. We have bought a few of them. It seems to me that they improve the comfort level notably at first but after a month or so, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference anymore. Then, getting rid of them is difficult because we don't have trash pickup. I have to carry the things to the transfer station and they tend to be bulky, although it's easier getting rid of a topper than it is an entire mattress.

13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

It DOES get hot doesn't it? I use a fairly thick one as well because I'm too cheap to buy a new mattress. I wanted a pillow top like my mom has, but it is hard putting sheets on them because they are so thick. The foam mashes down on the sides easier.

Lois Winters likes this.
  14. Alan Sidlo

Alan Sidlo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

1021191341_HDR.jpg I'm currently using an Original Purple Mattress (read: gel mattress) on top of the articulated PowerBase bed stand. This monstrosity has independently adjustable head and leg positions, dual zone massage, night lights underneath, all controlled by its remote or the app. At the foot of the bed hangs a 4' x 6' projection screen w/LED projector along with an assortment laptops, tablets and phones. All combined forms a multimedia pod control center. Yeah, it's kinda my 'space' ship... sleep-time machine. There was a soft-top mattress on top but I removed it because it seemed redundant.

It all is a bit much really, because I'm best after waking up from sleeping on top of the firm Japanese Tatami grass mats or a hammock slung between trees or posts - even on the bare bamboo floors of a bamboo hut 2 kilometers off shore on the sandbar.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite Mattress Topper is ME!

Hal

Beth Gallagher and Alan Sidlo like this.