Maybe Not National News But Many Schools In Oklahoma Will Be Closed Due To Weather

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Bill Boggs, May 19, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe not national news, but many schools will be closed tomorrow across the state of OK,
    due to weather forcasts. Across the state storms will produce large hail,
    damaging winds, and tornados. And a risk of flooding almost everywhere.
    Most of the land is soaked and what rain we get will run off into low lying areas.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Be Safe

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Was in Norman, Oklahoma in April some 30 years ago. Drove thru a t-storm, going back to my motel room, that I'll never forget. A flood of water was going down the street I was on and I ended up driving into a Storage business parking lot that was on higher ground. Loads of lightning!

There are those that live in Oklahoma that will say, "Welcome to Spring Time in Oklahoma".

Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here is the current weather radar for Oklahoma and Kansas, and it is sure not looking good for that state at all, and Oklahoma is not much better ! I have already received alerts on my Apple Watch about tornadoes in Oklahoma, so this is a good time to be keeping @Bill Boggs and his family in our prayers.
    Looks like most of the storms are moving northeast, so hopefully pretty much out of Oklahoma by this afternoon.

EF3B3E18-2658-4503-96B7-54860D6737CC.jpeg

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks @Yvonne Smith , I have that on my tv and desktop. Those on the current screen are not severe yet or tornadic.
    But a cold front is scheduled to move through shortly. The area of central and southern Oklahoma and north Texas
    is the most unstable and is the area where large super cells are likely to develop. Between three and six pm we will
    see these develop. That is the most dangerous area and time for large tornados to form and set down.

In the meantime I will walk a short distance, replace the seat on a bicycle I can not yet ride and my good woman
    has prepare us a shelter in a large hallway closet. It is surrounded by double walls and we hope the best place to
    ride out what could happen. We are weatherwise. Thanks for thinking of us.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Glad to know that you are safe thus far, and @Bobby Cole and I will be keeping you and your family in our prayers. Once the storm has passed, please check in when you are able so we know that you are doing okay, @Bill Boggs .

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Registered

Multiple tornados southwest, west, and northwest Oklahoma. One multi-vortex on the ground for twenty
    Minutes in open country working their way east. Strong supercell still coming out of Texas. Stotms moving northeast 40-50 mph, getting closer to my location. Some areas getting 6-8inchs rain per hour. Hoping all runs behind the cold fr,ont before it reaches me...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Registered

We are still in a tornado watch the rest of the night because we are still in warm humid air
    blowing in from th southeast and a cool front has stalled just north of us we are in an
    unstable region where tornados can form. I see nothing on radar that will threaten
    the rest oof the night even hough the experts say another line of storms will come
    through later tonight. I'm going to watch the 10:00 PM news and go to bed. We've had
    some isolated damage to homes and business and an ag building was hit and several
    horses were killed by a small tornado. Tomorrow they say will be stormy also.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

Tornado warning for Norman, OK until 4:45 am. Tornado reported by radar just north my location. It was however reported moving east. I am south. .Storms should end by early morning. Thinking about having pancakes with pure maple syrup and sausage patties for breakfast, some good coffee.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It is national news.

12. Yvonne Smith

It is looking like there are still storms moving through Oklahoma, when I checked the radar just now, so we still need to continue to pray for safety for Bill Boggs and his family out there.

13. Yvonne Smith

2B52F4A3-D969-4CFB-ADFA-277E55300275.jpeg

14. Bill Boggs

Registered

Ah, yes, @Yvonne Smith, strange things can happen on a stormy night. We are all safe and well
    but I do need to swim to my back yard and open my gate so the water can flow out. We only got
    three inches of rain here but the ground was saturated previously. Some areas got seven to almost
    nine inches of rain last night.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

Final comment: It has been confirmed and damaged surveyed. An ef1 tornado set down in Norman at 4:20 this morning south of my home. No danger, it was moving northeast but the problem with these nighttime tornados
    Is you can't see them until the roof starts coming off your home. But there was no major damage done here in Norman.

Yvonne Smith likes this.