Me? A Soap Opera Fan?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Richard Paradon, May 8, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I have to admit it...but not the American "Days of Our lives" or "General Hospital", but I am stuck on a Korean Television show called "Bread, Love and Dreams". When my internet was down I was surfing the television and happened to find this show. Fortunately, it has English subtitles and my first impression, was boring.....but then something happened and I got hooked. Fortunately, through YouTube, I was able to find all of the episodes I missed, so now I am pretty much in tune with the story. I could not find a small sample so I am sticking on a full episode. Pretty much it is about a wealthy Korean family, a small bakery, and two boys, one stolen away from the bad mother who prefers her own son, and bla bla bla! I am hooked, and every evening at 9 pm, my phone is turned off for one hour!

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have not been a big fan of soap operas but recently got hooked on Revenge. I watched on Hulu to get caught up on the series. It seemed that the show went from one bad situation to another. I did stop watching the show after awhile another show that I like is BlackList. Now I am wondering how long is it going to take for the girl to realize Redington is her real father.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, from what I have heard about the foregin soap genre and even seen of the ones of Spanish channels they do seem to have more drama and plots then the American ones. The American kind, well the ones in daytime that is not primetime, have become stagnent, dragging, doing the same stories over and over, with the same characters being featured while other characters languish on the back burner or get used to prop the chosen characters, sometimes not in a good way. Whatever happen to the days when these daytime dramas were just that dramas that offered good story telling and character development. Now a days if you want this you have to watch the prime time soaps like Revenge or Reign, or you can watch a soap from anohter country since they apparently still know how to do the genre justice in other countries.

4. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

The wife and I have watched Days of our Lives, off and on, since it started. Many changes over years.

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I watch a few, but they sure are pushing the social issues lately. The 2 I watch are General Hospital, and The Bold and The Beautiful. I've been watching GH for years, off and on, and B&B more off than on since the 90s, but steadily for a bit now. I'm not going to check out the Korean one, because I'll probably get hooked. I watched Revenge for the first few seasons and really liked it, but once they bring in a thousand new characters and twists, I lose interest. I'd rather follow a solid group of characters than have things constantly changing. I guess that's to attract the younger crowd with short attention spans who're used to gaming, but I prefer family-based stories showing the characters I've known over the years, and that's being shown less and less, so I'm starting to lose interest even in the ones I still watch.

6. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to watch "The Bold and the Beautiful" but gave up on it years ago. After a while I just couldn't take how everyone seemed to have a relationship with everyone else. Surprisingly I never really missed it. Now I don't watch the daily soaps at all, but I still enjoy programs like "Revenge" and "Devious Maids", though my Mom thinks I waste a lot of time on junk.

7. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Unfortunately for me, the series ended, but the good guys won out and the bad guy went to jail. I would love to see a sequel but in the mean time I will search for more!

8. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I never was a fan of soap operas, but my wife absolutely loves watching the Turkish ones. Fun thing is that she picked up this habit after watching a couple of episodes with my mother, who also enjoyed them. Ever since then, she's been watching every Turkish soap opera she catches on TV. Sometimes it's bugging me, but at least she has something to do and look forward to.