Meat Tenderizer

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The old stand-by was Monosodium Glutamate. Then, we were all told we ate too much sodium, so that became bad stuff. Even exposed in restaurant-cooking, fast-foods, etc. I note that commonly sold tenderizers now cointain Bromelain, a naturally-occurring enzyme found in pineapples.

"Along with papain, bromelain is one of the most popular proteases to use for meat tenderizing.[8] Bromelain is sold in a powdered form, which is combined with a marinade, or directly sprinkled on the uncooked meat".

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromelain#Temperature_stability

Purchased at retail, the "meat tenderizers" on the shelves are quite expensive, especially when one considers that the bromelain ingredient is listed last, thereby making it the scarcest ingredient in the product.

Bromelain is sold in edible capsules, touted for "joint health", so it's likely not harmfull. I just ordered 180 capsules of 500 mg each for $16.00 from Botanic Choice, a source whose value I might also ask you about?

Thanks. Frank

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

MSG isn't a meat tenderizer. It is a flavor enhancing salt of an amino acid glutamine. It makes your tongue more sensitive to tastes, thus makes food taste richer. Papain comes from (originally) papaya. You can just use a bit of fresh or frozen--not canned--pineapple as your tenderizer if you wish.

3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    I stand corrected. There was local hoopla way back when over MSG being used in chemical meat tenderizers, and it's sodium content was also mentioned. In a given weight of MSG, however, the sodium content is much lower than in an equal weight of sodium chloride, table salt. About 1/3 as much.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

MSG can cause erratic heart rate sometimes called A-Fib the real good meat tenderizer is papaya they use any part of the plant here it puts out a white liquid which dissolves sinew. It is also good for digesting system helping to get rid of logged meat in the intestine system. A great enzyme for digestion

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite Steak Dinner at Steer & Stein restaurant is "Country Fried Steak", made with Tenderized Choice Sirloin.

I can easily cut and chew it, but I can't with the restaurant's most popular steak dinners, such as their Ribeye, no matter how it's cooked.

My only knowledge of "tenderizing" a steak is beating it with a hobbed square hammer.

Anyway, Country Fried Steak smothered with white gravy is tender and delicious!

I usually have it with Mashed Potato with brown gravy, a salad with Bleu Cheese, and a Garlic roll, all washed down with a 32-oz. stein of beer!

Hal, your friendly diner.:)

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don’t know what purpose you intend for the bromelain capsules, @Frank Sanoica , but I agree with Don Alaska that just using fresh raw pineapple is better than adding the powder. I have used both pineapple as well as papaya as a meat marinade and it not only does a great job of tenderizing the meat, it adds great flavor, especially if you happen to be BBQ’ing the meat afterwards. I guess if you don’t want the added flavor, then the powdered bromelain or papain would be fine.
    If you bought the capsules as a health supplement, then eating fresh pineapple really works great, too. It is very anti-inflammatory, plus it has a natural pain-killer.

As far as the MSG, I have also read that besides the health side affects, it can also be addictive, thus causing you to crave whatever food that you are eating that has MSG in it. Since it goes by a whole lot of different names (some of which even sound beneficial), it can be hard to spot it in the list of ingredients. (Another reason not to eat processed foods)

https://www.naturalnews.com/048414_MSG_side_effects_monosodium_glutamate.html

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Beer or buttermilk is good tenderrizer!

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Registered

@Frank, you're a veritable fountainhead of information! I guess it's the Arizona climate and scenery.

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Gloria Mitchell
    Drank with the meat eaten, or poured over it?
    Frank

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith "I don’t know what purpose you intend for the bromelain capsules"

Empty their contents into a small shaker-jar, sprinkle over the meat before roasting.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Registered

You want Low Sodium?

Try this:

I take it with me whenever we go to Restaurants.

Hal
    003.JPG

12. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

bromelain capsules I gave to my son when he had asthma to help him through attacks

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Registered

The best way to tenderize a steak is PHYSICALLY, using a Meat Mallet.

Check YouTube videos.

Hal

14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Hal Pollner
    I use this; 0% table salt, Potassium Chloride instead of sodium, AND added benefit of Potassium uptake, regulates heartbeat.

• [​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered