Medical Expenses

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hedi Mitchell, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

With me racking up charges with all the tests made me think about the financial out come later on.
    My insurance had been great in the past and hoping it continues. But was wondering how do the rest of you handle large medical expense ? Do you pay what you can or do go hock things to pay off? Hopefully your not dipping into retirement funds for that.
    How will handle the real big bills you can't pay ?

Von Jones and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I've only had the one medical bill. I don't have insurance, so I made an affordable payment plan agreement. They won't offer, you have to go in or call and just ask. They will work with you. If they didn't, what can they possibly do to you? They can't repossess anything or put you in jail. If you paid nothing, they could report it to the credit bureau, but who cares? It's not as though anyone our age would even qualify for a mortgage regardless of credit score.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I pay off as quick as possible- but with mine growing it might take some time for some of them.

4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Bad to say, but the worse that can happen is you'll pass away before they are paid. Then, it becomes part of your estate settlement. If you have money, they will get paid before the balance of the money goes to your heirs. I don't have to worry about any of that. It isn't as though my kids think they will inherit a bundle. :D This is why it takes almost a year to settle estates. They check for unpaid medical first. But for now, you don't have to worry about it.

Von Jones and Lois Winters like this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

They will be SOL..
    There won't be anything;) left at that point anyway.

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bess Barber

A debt is a debt, if signatures were affixed. No signature, no service, at least in my case before they shoved my carcass in the chopper. Afterwards, they demanded $9500 payment in full. Settled for $69 per month until paid in full.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

:eek::oops:

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

This is what I told my mother when I found out she was paying on a car loan when the car was totalled by an uninsured and she wasn't going to get any restitution (long story). She was so concerned about her credit status in her 70s. She was living with us with no expenses except her medicines and insurance. After she passed the loan office called about the balance so I'm guessing she was still paying on it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

My insurance had been great. With all the expense have paid near nothing.
    I have question and was unsure where to ask this.
    If you wear hearing aids where do buy yours? Have you ever bought from Lloyds of London or Hearing Express?
    I really need a new one on the left and have thought of buying on line for much less. Not amplified ones..actual hearing aids.

10. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always bought from a audiologist. No experience how they'd tune the in an on-line purchase.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Our medical expenses are, in part, paid by Medicare and our Supplement. The other part, before our yearly Medicare deductible is paid, is paid by us. My ER visit, last August, from a fall out of our bathtub, and the revisit to have stitches taken out, was fully paid by Medicare and the Supplement. Now, there are some things, like new eyeglasses (wife) and, in the future, my dental surgery, that our Medicare and Supplement don't cover, are paid with a Care Credit Card with a discount from Discount Cards. We do, however, get a yearly free vision test from Medicare, because we are both Diabetic II.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Ok ..so answer to my question...no one here at the moment has dealt with ordering aids from on line.
    There seems to be a vast difference in how we all pay and what we are struck with.
    Insurance of anykind is a rip off for the most part.However I have seen the and heard agony of those without out insurance.
    That is because they Own everything including us .:eek::oops:

13. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

How old are you Gloria? Most of us that are on Medicare have Supplemental Coverage or should have. I see lots of docs and have lots of procedures and tests and never have to pay anything out of pocket.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've paid a couple of hundred out of pocket this year for an overnight hospital stay and follow-up visits to the cardiologist.
    I have Medicare and supplemental, but they both have deductibles.

I'm not certain what you are worried about if you have insurance, other than it's impossible to figure out exactly what's covered before you've actually incurred expenses.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

My fault, should have reworded this title and thread. @Lon Tanner ..my insurance is great for us I pay very little out of pocket.

All I really wanted to know from anyone is has anyone bought hearing aids from a place online? And who? I don't have actual coverage for the hearing aids, which is fine.
    When I got this Advantage Plan I told the guy I was more intrested in catstrophic emergency type care vs. monthly visits .
    It has worked great for me so far with all that has happened.

John Brunner likes this.