Medication Paradox

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Pretty much, but like Joy I tried EVERYTHING to control my blood pressure... diet, exercise, yadda, yadda. It just wouldn't budge so I finally gave in and got the medication. If not for my mother's history I probably wouldn't have... but I really don't want dialysis to be part of my daily activities.

As many of us have found, we have to be our own advocates when it comes to health care. After I had my gallbladder removed in 2012, I had a gout attack in my foot... OMG... THE WORST THING EVER. So I read everything I could about it, tried 10,000 "natural remedies," and after suffering for 2 solid weeks in complete misery I got a steroid dose pack from the doctor. It relieved my symptoms almost immediately.

Anyway... since then I learned that people who have gout should not ever take diuretics. I've had two doctors who know my health history try to prescribe a diuretic for blood pressure control. If I hadn't done my homework about gout, I'd never have been able to "school" the doctors on that prescription. :D

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Exactly.
    At the same time, doctors don't know everything, nor should they have to. A lot of the responsibility is ours and some people would blindly take a pill instead of sticking to a healthier diet and exercise plan. If I can give up my beloved coffee and chocolate, ANYONE can do it. :D

However, I agree with @Shirley Martin in that not all medications are evil. Many do keep people alive. For the people who need them, they should certainly take them.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Give up my coffee and chocolate?????????????????????? NEVER! :eek::D

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This is so true, and my brother is a prime example. He was diagnosed with Type II diabetes a few years ago and got a prescription for Metformin. He continues to hog the recliner and eat pasta and sweets, convinced that the magic prescription will "take care" of his diabetes. He doesn't even own a glucose meter which drives me to distraction. :mad:

5. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh Shirley, we can all agree on your words...but I come from Prevention in other areas of healing besides drugs drugs drugs and all their side effects. Taking supplements over 25 yrs and NO SIDE EFFECTS....

And a drug put me in a ER in the 80's...that was my turningpoint, wake up call.

So many are closed to nothing but pharma drugs.

How about Food Based Supplements like Grape Seed Extract, comes from the dread grape.

6. Joy Martin

Registered

True, so many think that pill will change everything. I just read some info that came thru on some dangers of the Metformin, I didn't read up on it as I don't take it and if I had some issues along these lines with sugar issues, I'd most likely go with Berberine and change my eating habits.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    It is good for the doctors, too, who own scads of stock in the drug making companies.
    Franl

8. Shirley Martin

Registered

Frank, go take your memory pill!!! :p

Beth Gallagher and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I take nothing at all for my PN.. I am lucky---I have all the symptoms but no pain.

10. Shirley Martin

Registered

11. Joy Martin

Registered

Lon, Do you know WHY you deal with PN? What caused it. Something had to.

My issues have been burning, tingling, and a big discomfort. My friend whom I talked about had hard times walking as her issues were in feet and lower legs.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree ...my BP meds are helping alot.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Joy Martin , will read up on grape seed.. Heard about this years ago but at the time did not need anything.
    Medicine can be useful, but definetely over used and prescribed .

14. Joy Martin

Registered

Gloria, I didn't need anything either when I heard about Grape Seed Ex (Pycngenol) in 1995, but when I heard "may prevent cancer(s)", I needed it. Don't want that deadly disease and IF prevention is possible, I"m in..first thing to go was life before allergies and sinus issues.....that was going on 25 yrs ago. The list is LONG on what these powerful antioxidants address....

On the cancer(s) issues here is info where a lot of trials have been done on 4 cancer models with grape seed extract:

breast, colon, prostate, skin

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2728696/

Keep in mind, cancer is a HUGE money making industry for medical and how MUCH do they want to really cure?

Many cancer researchers like Mayo, City of Hope, Sloan Kettering use Grape Seed Ex in some of their trials, how much who knows.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Frank Sanoica and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  15. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Medical paradox is most arthritis is caused by a deficiency of cartilage in the joints usually call bone on bone arthritis. Doctors prescribe a pain killer which decreases or inhibits the body from making cartilage.
    Acid reflux doctors give an anti-acid. The cause for acid reflux is not strong enough acid in the stomach.
    The word cure was taken out of medical use and replaced with manage, control and treat.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.