Memories of 1977 - Where Were You?

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Joe Riley, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A time Machine Flashback To A Great Year !!!

Rachel Rodarte and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Living in Anaheim, working for a paper company, and raising a son.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Married seven years, we had just moved into our present home along with our four children.

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I was a single mom of two girls working hard in the Washington, DC. Nothing special.

5. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow I am trying to remember where I was in 1977. I do know I was living in Phoenix, Arizona but then I have been here all my life so that is a given. I think I was perhaps in the sixth or seventh grade at that time. I was what twelve years old since I am now fifty years old. So, I guess I was still a kid learning a whole lot about life.

6. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

Married in January. Relocated and moved home twice. The first was a temporary home which was unfurnished. We sat on folding garden chairs before a real wood fire and ate our meals at a deal table. When we moved into a more permanent home, someone in the family took pity on us and gave us an old double bed to sleep in. I started a new job and we settled into the area and made new friends.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Living on a houseboat which I used between moves (one on the left was mine)

[​IMG]

8. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I was 18 in 1977, so I was just about the perfect age for punk, saving up my money for the first album by The Clash.

9. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh my! I was 17 then but more country-oriented by such period of time despite The Clash was later one my favorite bands in the early 80s.

In 1977 I was engaged in discovering new and remote places inside my own city, always carrying my radio-cassette recorder and playing insistently "Afternoon Delight," which was the top single of the previous year in the annual Rolling Stone top-100 review.

Of course, to be able to wander freely around the city I used to escape from school because my parents would be scandalized to know what later we were going to learn; I love to be a city wanderer!

10. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I spent the year 1977 getting high. I used to love getting high and walking around town. Just where ever we happened to go.

Tom Locke likes this.
  11. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

One thing I remember from the summer of 1977 is that it was the Queen's Silver Jubilee in the UK. Those of us that preferred the Sex Pistols' version of God Save the Queen organised a 'Stuff the Jubilee' party as an antidote to the flag-waving nonsense that was going on. In truth, I don't recall much of the actual party, though I know it involved quite a lot of beer and a goodly number of spliffs. Which probably explains why I don't remember a great deal of it...

Rachel Rodarte and Joe Riley like this.
  12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I can relate to this. I was in high school and from what I remember the Spinners were the popular singing group that time. One Last Memory was my favorite of their songs. We had that bubble gum craze in school where the bubble gum would smear our lips with red, just like lipsticks.

My mom would pick me up from school using my father's Mustang. It was great to ride in that car especially when all my classmates were looking, hahahaaa. But what I really cherish are my friends in school. After classes, we go to that snack bar and listen to the music while eating burgers. Pizza was not born yet and the only star of the snack bar is the cheese burger.

Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Cheeseburger in Paradise!;)

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I was a Sophomore in High School, 1977 is the year my sister graduated from the same school. I was probably hanging out with friends and doing homework most of the time.

Joe Riley likes this.
  15. Peter Remington

Peter Remington Veteran Member
    Registered

1977: Married, with a one year old daughter. Working as a civilian for the Navy. Graduated from Long Beach State and headed for grad work at U.C.L.A. Eventually, both the marriage (the first of three) and the job (the worst one I ever had) were abandoned in favor of the academic pursuits. Good calls all around, as it turned out.

Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.