Memories

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bill Boggs, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I see television photos coming out of S. Korea today but they are different from the memories I have of that country. February 5th, 1953 my unit, 35th Infantry, 25th Infantry division had recently replaced First Marines on the MLR. My company and battalion were located south of Old Baldy on the high round known as Outpost Dagmire. This was north of 38th Parallel, southwest of Chorwon, North Korea. I remember it as terribly cold in the winter, hot in the summer, with a long Monsoon season.
    f60ee0436dd3bde312d3800e10183310--king-company-burlap-sacks.jpg

6cc213030cee62e646c99e5aafd24fb2--spring-offensive-military-photos.jpg

SC373174t.jpg

mlr.jpg

Just memories.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. Bill Boggs

Registered

I see television photos coming out of S. Korea today but they are different from the memories I have of that country. February 5th, 1953 my unit, 35th Infantry, 25th Infantry division had recently replaced First Marines on the MLR. My company and battalion were located south of Old Baldy on the high round known as Outpost Dagmire. This was north of 38th Parallel, southwest of Chorwon, North Korea. I remember it as terribly cold in the winter, hot in the summer, with a long Monsoon season.
    View attachment 20659

View attachment 20660

View attachment 20661

View attachment 20662

3. Bill Boggs

Registered

I see television photos coming out of S. Korea today but they are different from the memories I have of that country. February 5th, 1953 my unit, 35th Infantry, 25th Infantry division had recently replaced First Marines on the MLR. My company and battalion were located south of Old Baldy on the high round known as Outpost Dagmire. This was north of 38th Parallel, southwest of Chorwon, North Korea. I remember it as terribly cold in the winter, hot in the summer, with a long Monsoon season. On the snow picture, that's burlap wrapped around our boots. It was cokd because there was no place to get out of the weather.

View attachment 20660

View attachment 20661

View attachment 20662

Just memories.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Registered

I hate it because we ca't delete some things like the above. I was reading about the olimpics nbegan thinking about earlier times there. I have a tendency to post something hastily then think better of it. Some things are of no interest on a public forum. Sorry but I can't do anything about it now.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Pleased you didn't delete Bill - a memory (good or bad) is worth sharing

6. Bill Boggs

Registered

Please consider this another rant or coming from someone who doesn't get out enough and when he does he doesn't remember how to behave and sometimes talks to himself and forgets he must share the world others or that someone else has strived to generate some of the good things he enjoys like a forum where he can cuss and discuss things on his feeble mind and sometimes dwells too long in the past and needs to be ignored like a wayward child or an imperfect soul.

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Bill, sharing your thoughts is what a forum is all about :)

Yvonne Smith and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It's kinda like life in general. There is nothing we can do about what has been done. There are no "do-overs" and awaiting the results of what we did is part of our future journey. The fascinating part is that some of the things we hold in angst, are the very things that might be beneficial to someone else whether we know of it or not.

It is quite enough to know that you are a person of character and would, if he could, change things for the better if indeed, it actually would be better.:)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Why would you think that would be of no interest? Sharing thoughts, opinions, photos, or whatever; that's what the forum is all about. Had I served in Korea, you can bet that I'd be sharing photos that I had. But then, I have an ongoing thread about my compost pile, so perhaps that's not a good example.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Admin

Admin Forum Administrator
    Staff Member Greeter Registered

I see what you mean, I think. The repetitions? I merged them into one thread but I don't know if they all show the same photos, so I have left them in. If there are repeats, that's fine.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, there are times, Ken, that a person needs, or even has to, think twice about a reply or posting a new thread due to what other folks are going to think and say. There have been some threads and replies I wish I wouldn't have posted, due to response I got.

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes when I see an old post of mine, I think that it doesn't even sound like me, lol.

And I'll be surprised that I actually wrote it.

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

I did a slight mistake yesterday in spelling, when I realised, I was too late to correct it :rolleyes:

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

This might be a dumb question, @Bill Boggs , but are you in any of those pictures?
    Thank you for your service to our country.

15. Bill Boggs

Registered

No, ma'am. @Shirley Martin All the photos I took and a few that were taken of me I sent home to my mom and dad. My son and daughter have all that's left now. I threw all the photos away mom had when she died except a few my son and daughter have. My son brought a few photos over one night recently and asked if I wanted them? I photoed some of them then tossed them.