Memory Problems

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Seems to me like you are doing every thing possible to find out what the problem is Holly. Good luck & good memory.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Jim Nash

Jim Nash Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry Holly. I didn't know you were at an advanced state of consultation, like so many others my thoughts are with you.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm also worried about your health problems, @Holly Saunders . There's also MS in my family. It sounds as if the risk of MS is higher in Scotland and/or the north of the UK. Is that true? Are there any reasons for that? I've never heard of that.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

yes it's true @Thomas Stearn .

Here's some info...

It has long been reported that Scotland has among the highest rates of MS in the world, with environmental factors such as a lack of sunshine and genetics thought to be behind the greater prevalence.

The atlas backs up this claim, with few countries exceeding Scotland in terms of cases per 100,000 of the population.

The highest rates were also seen in other countries in northern hemisphere, including Canada at 291 cases per 100,000 people, Denmark at 227 and Sweden at 189.

There is no cure for MS, which affects nerves in the brain and spinal cord, causing problems with muscle movement, balance and vision.

Today’s report also confirms that women are twice as likely to have MS as men, although in some countries women are three times as likely to have it.

The study found the number of neurologists worldwide had increased by 30 per cent and the provision of MRI machines, key to early diagnosis and treatment, had doubled in the past five years in emerging countries.

here's the source... but there's been many studies over the years with the same conclusions..

https://www.scotsman.com/news/ms-10-000-scots-living-with-multiple-sclerosis-1-3121299

Bobby Cole and Thomas Stearn like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

This from the MS trust...

It has also been noted that Scotland has a much higher rate of multiple sclerosis than England or Wales and that areas of high MS prevalence around the world have been settled by Scottish immigrants. In Ireland, the north of which was extensively settled by immigrants from Scotland from the 17th century, the rate in Co Wexford in the south was recorded in 2004 as 121 per 100,000 whilst the rate in County Donegal in the north was 185. A study of Northern Ireland found a rate of 168 in 1996.

Prevalence rates vary around the UK. Based on the figure of 110,000 people with MS, it is estimated that the number of people with MS in each nation is:

• England is around 90,500 or 164 per 100,000
    • Wales about 4,300 or 138 per 100,000
    • Northern Ireland about 3,200 or 175 per 100,000
    • Scotland about 11,300 or 209 per 100,000
    Prevalence in the north of Scotland is particularly high. A study of north east Scotland found the level per 100,000 people in 2009 to be 229 in Aberdeen, 295 in Shetland and 402 in Orkney.

A little over 5,000 people are diagnosed with MS each year, roughly 100 a week.

In Scotland the further north you live the higher the likelihood of being diagnosed with MS... this seems to go along with having very little strong sunshine.. as in Norway etc which is even further North than Scotland

Bobby Cole and Thomas Stearn like this.
  6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife has Alzheimer's and memory loss is a big part of that. I have to be particularly careful of her meds so that she doesn't take them twice.

We will eat a meal together and an hour later she won't remember eating and will argue if I try to remind her what we ate..

7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks a lot, Holly, I didn't know that. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Holly Saunders, you may want to have your Vitamin D tested, or just start taking supplements as it is cheaper. Some studies have shown a link between Vitamin D and MS. Everyone north of 60 degrees (and south of 60 degrees south, of course) should take Vitamin D supplements and everyone between 30 and 60 degrees should take them at least in the winter. Everyone is encouraged to use sunscreen to reduce skin cancer, but that also leads to Vitamin D deficiency. Also those on statins who have very low cholesterol levels cannot make Vitamin D, as cholesterol is required for Vitamin D manufacture in the skin. Of course, spending time in Spain and wearing few clothes could help, too!:)

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

I actually asked the doctor to test for VIT D deficiency, although I doubt I have that Don, because for over 40 years I've lived in probably the hottest part of the Uk..and also my home in Spain. I know the body can't store VIT D so I always ensure I go into the garden for at least 20 minutes without sunscreen on, before applying it ...however he didn't agree I needed a test, and actually warned me against buying OTC supplements because apparently too much can be toxic

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It is possible to take too much, but it isn't easy. In the old days, they thought levels in excess of thirty were toxic, but many now recommend levels between 50 and 100 ng/mL for therapeutic purposes. Vitamin D is fat soluble, so it does store for a short while and can accumulate to toxic levels if you take too much. I take 5000 IU daily of cholecalciferol and have no problems with it whatsoever. If you take ergocalciferol (D2) instead of cholecalciferol (D3), it is considered safer but not as effective as your body must convert D2 to D3 before it is useful so there is a safety factor there, and D2 at high levels (50,000 IU or more daily) are used in cases of severe Vitamin deficiency. Those levels were once believed to be toxic, but have been found not to be so.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vitamin-d-whats-right-level-2016121910893

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-929/vitamin-d

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders , my doctor has me taking 125 mcg (5000 IU) of D3 daily. He had it tested a couple of years ago when I had my yearly check-up and it was low. I thought that sounded like too much so I Googled it. Apparently, it is safe to take up to 10,000 IUs daily. He has it checked every year when I have my blood work and it is fine. So, if I were you, I'd get some and take it. What can it hurt?

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Then, there is this:

"Older people are also at risk for vitamin D deficiency." :p

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Apparently we don't show as much skin as we used to;)