Mental Health Advice To My Fellow Seniors

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There are 120 seniors from age 60 to age 98 living here at Assisted Living either alone or with a spouse. The ones with ALZ or Memory Loss live in a separate part of the building and obviously are not computer active.
    The rest of us have some degree of physical problems that require some degree of assisted living. Some (very few) of us have some degree of computer & tech knowledge and activity. I am one of the very active ones with my Lap Top, I Phone, I Pad. Because of what tech skills I have my life is made more comfortable and interesting than just vegetating.My mind continues to be sharp and enables me to do my own banking and investing without the help of a CARETAKER. So, My Advice Fellow Seniors. Stay TechActive for your own health.

2. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Would you be willing to show them how to use the internet, just for viewing things of interest?
    Maybe management could put computers in a lobby or central area and have a basic class.

If they could learn to Google and search things that would interest them: crafts, paintings, music, free online classics - it could be life-changing.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Millinocket has a large retired population, particularly since the mill closed, but it seems that most of the older people know how to use their computers, iPads, or smartphones, because that's how they keep up with their kids, who have left the state looking for work, as well as their grandkids, and so on. They're not building websites or coding apps, but they can find Facebook. For many of them, it seems that Facebook is the Internet, as far as they are concerned. It's a lot like the many people who never left AOL after signing up for AOL access a couple of decades ago. They rarely leave Facebook, except maybe for Youtube but, even then, they mostly watch the videos that are embedded in Facebook posts.

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There are two excellent computers in the Activity Room and one of the management staff in charge of scheduled activities teaches a technology class at 4;30 on Tuesdays.

5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Monica Rich likes this.