Michigan-grown Berries

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Our Dollar-Tree store has USA produced canned fruits for a variety of purposes. I stay away from canned fruits made to eat directly, too full of sugar and fructose, but the filling and topping stuff is great; so is the price: buck a can, 15 oz.

Took out a can of Blueberry this morning from our pantry. Burnette Foods, Inc., Elk Rapids, MI 49629
    PRODUCT OF USA

Made for pies, I guess. Using one of my Mother's old recipes for cake! Used two square metal cake pans instead of one large one, in our micro-convection oven.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am disallowed chocolate on my new diet, so my wife proposes making icing for them out of cream cheese, erythritol for sweetening, and half & half cream. Chocolate contains phosphorus, a no-no for failed kidneys, go figure. Up to me, I'd just cheat and take a chance.........that's why she's here! Stubborn old fart.....Frank

I'll come back with results on this!

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks good, Frank. That appears to be pie filling, so it probably has sugar already added. May I ask why you are avoiding sugar? I don't remember my mother having to avoid sugar (with her kidney failure). She was limited on tomatoes, bananas, cola drinks, citrus fruit and avocado...among other things that I found surprising, like whole-wheat baked goods.

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica , you can't go wrong with blueberries. They are good no matter what you put them in.

On the frosting, though, I think it would be better to use Cool Whip instead of half and half. They make sugar free Cool Whip. She might want to add a bit of vanilla flavoring, too. It should be delicious.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Good idea, Shirley. I'd probably skip the frosting all together and call it "blueberry coffee cake." :D

Bess Barber likes this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

That would be good. Blueberry muffins along with a cup of coffee makes a perfect breakfast.

Beth Gallagher and Bess Barber like this.
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

If someone has even a hint of diabetes or high blood sugar, they are told to stay away for sugar because it becomes too much for the kidneys to process and can cause kidney failure. Making it worse when they blame aspartame which people were taking in place of sugar. It's as though a person can't win for losing..........unless they have a can of blueberries. :D
    Well done Frank!!

Shirley Martin likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't remember Frank mentioning diabetes, but I might have missed it. My mother was in full-blown kidney failure for the last 5 years of her life but didn't have any sugar restrictions. In fact, she had a hard candy in her mouth almost constantly because the dry mouth from dialysis was so horrible.

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

"I'll come back with results on this!"

Here it is. Two layers glued together with homemade blackberry jam from frozen berries, topped by icing made from cream cheese, half & half, and Erythritol for sweetening. Not as sweet as sugar, certainly, but plenty good!

We each enjoyed a slice and put it away. No concern now for my tomorrow breakfast snack!
    Frank

[​IMG]

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Looks great, Frank. How about the cranberry ice cream??

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    I avoid sugar for a variety of reasons, not diabetes. My blood glucose runs ~ 95. Tooth decay and calories are my chief concern, along with all the bad things my wife states against sugar. Frank

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    Cool Whip:

"Ingredients. CoolWhip: Water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skimmed milk, light cream, less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene."

Loaded with process garbage we shouldn't even be consuming. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the taste of Cool Whip! I am trying to get away from all these processed "Company Foods". Frank

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Beth Gallagher

All in good time, Ma'am!
    Frank

Beth Gallagher likes this.