Microscopes

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

For my 10th Birthday, my Dad gave me a Microscope. I had fun with it for years, even into high school.

It was just a simple instrument without rotating eyepieces, but I could fascinate myself by looking at everyday objects magnified up to 100X!

I would like to get one of those new ones that you don't even look through... the image is displayed on an LCD screen in high definition, and you can get magnifications up to 1000X!

Hal

Nancy Hart, Faye Fox and Bess Barber like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bobby has one of those that he got from Amazon, and he just loves it, @Hal Pollner ! ! He can use it and the image is shown on his ipad or iMac screen.
    You might want to check amazon and see if you find one that you like, too.

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

My mom was a chemistry/science high school teacher. We always had really great microscopes at home to play and learn with. She would even bring one on vacation. As a matter of fact, at 83, she still has one on her bedroom desk. I always tease her that I'm a clean freak due to her showing me germs other people don't even see. :D

Von Jones and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Hal
    @Hal Pollner google this
    40X-2500X LED Digital Monocular Compound Microscope w 3D Stage +1.3MP USB Imager
    and feast your eyes on a real state of the art beauty! I expect to see one in your collection very soon. My PCP has one of these and it is fascinating to see things instantly on a computer monitor.
    Faye

@Bess Barber Interesting that your mom was a chemistry teacher and that you are a clean freak. My mom's minor was chemistry and she taught Home Economics and Health. My dad's minor was also chemistry and he was a Government Space Scientist involved in the early days of NASA. I always had a microscope, but my fascination with chemistry was test tubes and beakers and making art pieces using them. I am also a neat freak and cannot tolerate clutter or any disregard for sanitation and I take it beyond any reasonable socially accepted limits, ha ha ha!

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you, Hal. This thread reminded me to drag out my microscope (only 40X) and do a fecal sample test for round worms on my only goat. :D

Results negative. I may repeat it just to double check, now that all the stuff is out on the counter.

Come to think of it, I may try it on the cat. They say cats that never go outside can pick up worms from fleas. I drug some into the house on my shoes last summer and they found their way to cat. :p

Faye Fox likes this.