Microsoft Surface Tablet

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Mike Dobra, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Mike Dobra

Mike Dobra Veteran Member
    Registered

I have this MS beast working perfectly except for one thing - it as MS 8.1 OS running as originally installed. BUT I can't seem to upgrade it to W10 OS. Can't find nought out on Internet, so does anyone claim to have solved it - or do I bin it ?
    Many thanks
    mike

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I haven't used Microsoft anything for several years but maybe there's someone here who will be able to help.

3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not very good with these things, but I read that the free upgrade to Windows 10 has ended.
    Are you trying to upgrade with a copy you purchased?

As my kids tell me, " Dad, Google is your FRIEND..."

4. Jeff Tracy

Jeff Tracy Veteran Member
    Registered

Over here in Aeioungland
    Windows 10’s free upgrade offer is officially over. But, unofficially, free copies of Windows 10 are still available.
    There are a few ways you can still get Windows 10 for free, without using a pirated license: you can take advantage of the Assistive Technologies offer from Microsoft, you can install Windows 10 with a 7 or 8 key, or install Windows without a key—it will work just fine, save for a small watermark reminding you to purchase a license.
    Microsoft is still offering Windows 10 for free to people who use “assistive technologies”. All you have to do is visit the Assistive Technologies offer page and click the “Upgrade Now” button to get started. It’ll download a tool that will upgrade your Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 system to Windows 10. It works just like the previous “Get Windows 10” tool that was available to everyone during Windows 10’s first year.
    According to the terms of the offer, you can only use this offer if you use “assistive technologies” on your computer. These include screen readers, magnifiers, and anything else that makes Windows easier to use. Microsoft isn’t checking whether you use assistive technologies or even spelling out a list of assistive technologies that will make you eligible for the offer, though. It’s the honor system.
    Despite some controversy when this offer was discovered, Microsoft hasn’t withdrawn the offer or made it harder to get. This offer won’t be available forever, but Microsoft will provide an announcement prior to ending the offer.
    As with the previous free upgrade offer, this method gets your PC a “digital license” that is valid for the life of the device. You can continue using Windows 10 and even reinstall it on that PC in the future.

https://www.howtogeek.com/265417/windows-10s-free-upgrade-offer-is-over-what-now/

5. Mike Dobra

Mike Dobra Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for you comments, will have a poke around the link Jeff.