Microwaved Bacon

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My wife insists on microwaving the bacon all the time, I think in order to reduce the number of burners that are in use at one time on the stove, and I really wish she wouldn't. When I express that, her response is to tell me that it's not microwaved, even when it is. Microwaved bacon looks and feels raw, although it might be hot. In fact, I think my life would be better if we dumped the microwave at the transfer site. I use it to reheat coffee once in awhile but I am never satisfied with reheated coffee, anyhow.

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't like Microwaved bacon.. I know you can micro it on a browning tray but it still seems to be limp and chewy..*ugh*...

I do use my microwave a lot for reheating drinks, and defrosting stuff... or cooking a baked potato half way though before finishing it in the oven...

Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Bacon cooked in the oven is the best way. :)

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We seldom use our microwave either, and then it is usually to reheat something like soup or coffee, although I agree that reheated coffee is nowhere near as good as fresh coffee.
    I am sure that I would not want bacon cooked in the microwave, and I like the smell and sound of bacon sizzling in the frying pan. Bobby sometimes heats up hot dogs in the microwave, but mostly we cook those on the stove also. We rarely use the oven for anything that can be cooked on top of the stove, because it uses a lot more electricity to have to heat the whole oven for long enough to cook something, plus, in the summer, it also heats up the house.
    We went to the Save-a-Lot store again yesterday, and they had what we thought were bacon ends and pieces for about $2 a lb, which is really cheap for bacon, at least here in Alabama, where it is normally about $4 a lb.
    When we opened the box (you had to get a 10 lb box), it was beautiful sliced bacon, much nicer than what I see in the little packages at the store that cost twice as much.
    We have not tried any yet, but I am looking forward to a bacon and egg breakfast, or a nice Cobb salad with bacon and blue cheese in it. A BLT would be awesome, but since we are both eating low-carb, we do not buy bread any more.

5. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

"Running bacon under cold water before cooking will reduce shrinking by up to 50%.
    Also, cook bacon in the oven for 10 minutes at 365 F/ 185 C for maximum flavor."

From Pinterest. I've not tried it.

6. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I like my bacon very crispy and brown. I wrap the bacon in a paper towel then put it in the micro wave.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

According to Rachel Ray, you should cook bacon in the oven on a broiler pan, at least a pound at a time. She says cook at least twice as much as you think you will need, as you will snack on it.... I think she recommends 360 F. for 30 minutes or until as crisp as you want. Store left overs in the fridge for snacks or salads...or BLTs.

8. Ken Anderson

Yeah, when I am cooking, and I do cook from time to time, I'll sometimes broil the bacon rather than frying it. We have four burners, like most stove tops, but I can appreciate that it's hard cooking when three or four of them are in use at the same time. Broiled bacon comes out just fine, but I usually fry it.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We don't have bacon very often anymore, mostly because I hate grease splatter on the stove or in the oven. I have started buying the Oscar Mayer precooked bacon, which is passable and just needs a few seconds in the microwave to heat.

I have never used a microwave oven to "cook," but I use it fairly often to "reheat" things. Since our children all flew the coop, I find my Breville countertop oven does all the baking we need, so my regular gas ovens are hardly ever used either.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

I have seen that in the store, and have wondered why anyone would buy precooked bacon since it takes only a few minutes to cook bacon.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

"Grease splatter." (And because a fool and her money are soon parted.) :D Also, I don't like lingering odors in the house and bacon seems to hang in the air for days. Come to think of it, I rarely fry anything anymore.

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think that is one of the advantages of "baking" bacon--no splatter. Broiling can cause splatter, but baking it doesn't seem to do so.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Bacon always splatters. :D Plus I don't like firing up the oven in the summertime, so I suppose that's another reason for wasting $$ on precooked.

14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    Are the pre-cooked bacon products made without preservatives (nitrites), perhaps? I do know "no preservatives" bacon is for sale in our stores, but forget whether it is pre-cooked.
    Frank

Bess Barber likes this.
  15. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

We have a perforated flat pan lid lookin thing. Meant to hold the bacon flat ,but prevents a lot of the splatter. If ya cook there's gonna be a mess to clean,just a fact.
    I save the grease for my home fries!