Midwest Flooding And Meat Prices

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife remarked this morning several million (?) young animals are thought to have perished. I immediately thought of the "futures" on the radio daily when we lived in Missouri, without T-V for the first few years. U.S. daily slaughter of beef cattle ran 300,000+, and pork 200,000+, every day! That means millions are being raised from infancy to market size, at any given time. It's being, therefore, predicted meat prices, among many other farm products, will soar due to the floods, which indeed were devastating.

Our Safeway this week advertised several very desirable sale prices: Sirloin Petite boneless steaks, beef, $2.99/lb. Smith's (Kroger) had bone-in pork steaks, $1.49, with a Manager's special of $1.00 off, thus making it $0.49/lb. Here's how the pork panned-out:

[​IMG],

9 lbs., $40, regular price. On sale, $1.49, 13.57. A buck off that, brought the buy to $4.40 for 9 lbs of pork! She trimmed the fat, found lots of meat clinging to the bones hard to cut off, so left it on, throwing that into the Insta-pot. Bagged, the saved meat filled two gallon-sized freezer bags! 7 pieces big as my hand, an inch thick.

[​IMG]

She weighs everything. The two bags weigh over 4 pounds, so assuming the trimmed away and discarded fat weighed about a lb., the cook-pot had 4 lbs of bone and meat in it (not weighed).

[​IMG]

So, for five bucks, we bought enough meat to feed us both for maybe 12 or 15 big meals! She chose to skip pics of the beef; it looked even better, boneless, no fat, sirloin cut, 5 pieces about a pound each, 9 bucks.

Sorry, Vegans. I'm a meat-eater. In our house as I grew up, meat was served nearly every day. That process has gotten me to age 76 with acceptable inner-workings, no chest pain ever, no idea how clogged the pipes are, my complaints are pale compared to those of other folks.

However, none of that relates to the OP: Are farm products going to skyrocket in price? Whaddaya think?
    Frank

Holly Saunders and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Probably. We have been having some good deals on meat lately. Maybe I should stock up, just in case.

She needs to be eating the fat she trimmed off.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    What about me? (UGH!)

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

What about you? Are you eating low carb?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    No way! But, I would not eat trimmed off excess fat on meat, either. A bit intermingled, as they call "marbling", I can go along with. Makes the meat less stringy and tastier. My wife admonishes me, since being "keto" for a year or so, when I return to our table at a buffet with a second plate, with mashed potatoes and sugary desserts!
    Frank

6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Here is the cooked meat I removed off the bones. She cooked it 12 minutes! Tender as could be, almost fell off the bones. Above, the bones picked clean. Discarded, a lot of meat would be wasted; cutting it off the bones would be really tricky due to their shape, if uncooked.

[​IMG]