Millinocket, Maine

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Louise Williams

Louise Williams Supreme Member
    Registered

Sad to see a lot of the old mills and plants close down just like your sash and door plant too, Ike.. my inlaws worked at a Mill in Biddeford, Maine for years. it was called the Pepprell (sp)plant.. they made sheets and pillow cases.. and that has now turned into a small mall.. My hubby use to work at a small paper mill in Augusta , Me.. called Statler Tissue they use to make paper towels ..was there for many years then it folded up too,,

Albeit said, there is a huge pulp mill here in the western end of Tn..right on the Tn. River.. sometimes if the wind is just right,we can get a slight whiff of that nauseous odor ! PeeUeeee!! lol..and we live about 30 miles from that plant..

Loved your video too , Ken..

Ken Anderson and Ike Willis like this.
  2. Louise Williams

Registered

Ayuh!! , bout time you guys got some white stuff.:D I hate dirty snow though. It's always pretty , that first snow fall and it covers every thing,
    Looks like the road crew was right on top of the plowing too.. don't you just love those big snow drifts they leave at the end of your drive way? :mad:

We use to live on a rural road and every now and then , the snowplower would knock down our mail box.. was so frustrating! If the drifts were high enough we just shoved our mailbox in the drift til hubby could get the pole fixed again,, We even use to try to flag our box too so they could see it but if its a real blizzard then we understand how their vision would not be so good at that time..But, any who , those days are over for us now..
    Enjoyed the picture, Ken, thanks for sharing,,, im sure there will be more snow coming your way in the future .. and maybe some more pics for us to see too?
    Also. be so very careful of ice under snow.. I have taken a few flips in the air myself .. and its not fun..o_O

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Fab pictures Tiny....but My goodness...brrrrr!! what's with the semi nude guy in the snow.....?

My husband's grandmother lived in Montreal, and when he was a child he was sent all by himself on a flight from the uk to stay with his grandmother for several weeks of the year, and she would always take him on vacation to Maine. Unfortunately he can't remember which part of Maine, last time he visited he was just a young teen...but he remembers the trips well .. :D..

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  4. Louise Williams

Registered

That man is a runner and was well known to everyone in the Rockland area..was even a write up in the paper about him once.... Im guessing he's still running,lol...
    So your hubby is French as well ? my hubs parents and his grandmother were from Canada, he speaks some French but only enough to get by on..

Ruby Begonia and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

NO Not at all.:D.my husband is English born and bred, as was his paternal grandmother, but in her middle age after her son, ( my o/h's father, married) she left the UK for a whole new life in Canada!!

6. Paul Sparky

Paul Sparky Supreme Member
    Registered

Great pictures Tiny Louise. Not had any snow here yet but, when it arrives, I'm wondering whether to try that 'snow running'. :eek::D

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Rockville is a ways away from Millinocket. It's along the coast, while Millinocket is nearer to the geographical center of the state.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Louise Williams

Registered

there is a little town in Maine near Augusta the is famous for their sign.. Ive been in there a few times and by crackie, they do sell wedding gowns and guns and of course cold beer..that place is a hoot.. :D. I will try to think of the town ,,having a brain cramp now..

[​IMG]
    Ok, I found it ,, its in the town of Windsor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

@Louise Williams, isn't Rockland the Lobster Capitol? I recall driving through...or is that Rockport?

10. Ken Anderson

However, these places aren't anywhere near Millinocket. Maine isn't that small of a state.

11. Louise Williams

Registered

I know that Ken, these are just some fun places to visit.. im sorry if I posted the wrong pics here on your post..,,. I will get rid of them,sorry..

ok , I don't see any where to delete the posts.. ,,I was able to delete my last post, but cant seem to get into the posts with the pictures..could you please delete all those and the ones on page one for me ?? thanks , I will be sure not to come here again unless it has to do with Millinocket Maine,,

P.S. there is no Rockville, Maine along the coast that I know of, but there is a Rockland, and a Rockport , Maine..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  12. Ken Anderson

I'm sorry. That was intended simply as a reminder that the thread was about Millinocket so that it didn't become a thread about everywhere in Maine except Millinocket. I didn't mean to make a big deal about it. There's no need to delete anything.

Most of Rockville sits a little ways off from the coast, but you do briefly cross into the Rockville town limits while traveling the coastal route (US 1) between Rockland and Rockport.

rockville.jpg

Rockville is 139.1 miles from Millinocket. ;)

13. Ken Anderson

Our power went out, all of Millinocket and the next town over, at least. It is awfully windy and it has been been sleeting. I am here on my phone but I don't care to do forums on a smart phone so I won't be here long.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I was just looking at the weather forecasters for up there in Maine, and telling Bobby that it looked like you were only getting lots of rain, and all of the snow was missing you. But if the power is all out up there, then you must be really getting a nasty storm, snow or not.
    Be safe, and hope your power comes back soon, @Ken Anderson .

Ruby Begonia likes this.