Millinocket, Maine

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

It sounds like a great find, but if she goes down in the asking price don't you think others will want it also?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

She's not actively trying to sell it at this point. The sign fell down years ago, and it's not listed with a realtor.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Wow, that is an awesome find, @Ken Anderson ! It almost makes me want to move back into someplace that gets snow, to have a place with river frontage and close to lakes besides. I LOVE fishing, and this would be a fisherman's paradise, it sounds like.
    It is a whole lot closer to your property for sure, and if you have all of the utilities available to be connected again, plus good internet, that sounds like it would be an ideal situation for you and Michelle and the kitties.
    What would you do with the house where you live now once you move ?

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

5. Ken Anderson

Not sure.

6. Ken Anderson

We had the first shooting, so far as I am aware, that we've had since I've been in Millinocket. The only other homicide that I can think of was a shaken baby death, and the person responsible for that went on to shoot a couple of people a couple of years later, but not in Millinocket. I don't know if anyone is dead though, only that two people were shot.

They're being pretty quiet about it. The state police gave a press conference that said only that two adults had been transported to the Millinocket hospital, and later to a larger hospital. He wouldn't say, but it would pretty much have to be Eastern Maine Medical. They were asking anyone who knew anything about it to call them, so it didn't appear that they had a suspect immediately in mind. Also, the Millinocket Hospital was still on lock-down, whatever they meant by that.

I thought it was odd too, that no one from the Millinocket Police Department seems to be involved in it. According to the state police, they were the ones who responded to the shooting, which is stranger still due to the fact that it is unlikely that there was a state trooper closer than an hour or more away unless they just happened to be passing through on their way to somewhere else, since we seldom see the state police around here.

My doctor's nurse asked if I knew anything about it, so I guess they don't know anything either. I have since heard the names of the people who were transported but through gossip rather than any official sources. I didn't know them, but I think my wife knew who they were.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I read that it was a couple who filed for divorce that got shot....so sounds like a domestic issue to me.

And they survived an dthe suspect is still at large so maybe that why they had the hospital on lockdown.

8. Ken Anderson

I've seen a state police car go by the house a few times this morning, which we don't see much of here. The shooting took place on the other side of town, but the most direct route from there to the hospital would be past our house. The victims own a storage place here and, reportedly (gossip), they also grow marijuana. Both he and his wife were supposed to have been injured so unless a former spouse is involved, that wouldn't fit with the domestic angle.

Now that Maine has legalized marijuana, quite a few people are growing it. However, because it's still illegal as far as the feds are concerned, they tend not to filter the money through a bank account, and those who want to avoid the high state taxes do a cash-only business, so there is generally cash around. I know that marijuana growers have been robbed elsewhere in the state.

But it could end up being a domestic thing. I'm just hearing from people who call here.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was thinking a love triangle issue...but maybe the marijuana ...I didn't know that before.

10. Louise Williams

Louise Williams Supreme Member
    Registered

I just got your notice in my email , Ken, I think its because I lived in Maine...
    yes its unusual for a shooting in that area where you live.. im sure its a domestic thing or had to do with drugs in one form or the other.. use to see a lot of cars from other states come into Maine and not the flat-landers during the peak summer season either.., you could tell were drug carriers. they drive at least 90 on the turnpikes up from Lowell, Mass. the drugs runs are very heavy from there up to Maine...

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Is there an update?

12. Ken Anderson

I haven't talked to anyone since, so no.

13. Ken Anderson

The man who was shot has died, so it's a homicide. Still not much official out, but I understand they are investigating it as a home invasion rather than as a domestic attack, although there were rumors both ways. It still seems odd that the Millinocket PD seems to be not involved at all. While they often request assistance from the state police, they are usually involved. Of course, we haven't had a lot of murders to compare with but I know they were involved in baby shaking death.

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My guess would be that there were drugs involved in some way. You wouldn't think so in a small town but drugs seem to be everywhere nowadays.

15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I think drugs have found their way into almost every crook and cranny of this country. Doesn't mean anything in your neck of the woods necessarily but most isolated shootings/killings around here are drug related.