Minds.com

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know that it's going to go anywhere, since similar Facebook alternatives have failed in the past, but I am giving Minds.com a chance. It has a domain name that suggests that they plan on doing something with it, as that couldn't have been a cheap domain to acquire.

I am not overly familiar with it, but Minds.com appears to be a Facebook alternative in which you can earn points by posting, referring others, etc. and use the points to boost your own content. Given that Facebook is already manipulating what we can see in our News feed on Facebook, and is being pressured to do even more along those lines, I am not inclined to abandon Facebook, but I wouldn't mind seeing an alternative.

Of course, unless it catches on with enough people, it's not really an alternative.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll take a look. Since I've reported so many posts on FB and have blocked or hid most posts by annoying people I only have my family's posts to look at and they don't post much.

The most things I see are posts from a Doxie Page I like.

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Is it also a page on facebook as my search suggests?

IMG_0040.PNG

4. Ken Anderson

They probably have a page on Facebook, just as the Seniors Only Club does.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Oh...ok. I did join but have to study it more carefully. At first glance it's a little confusing. Last time I looked I had one person subscribe to me but I don't know who it is or why. :)

I do know I get points for checking in every hour so I'll do that for awhile.

Although I downloaded the app, I'm using the desktop version....I do the same for Facebook, just don't care for the app version.

6. Ken Anderson

Same here. I tried the Bing app on my phone but it took up far too much screen space, so I simply use the browser. Right now, I can't answer any questions about Minds.com because I haven't done anything there yet, or spent much time looking around, but I plan to.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ok, I've just been clicking (touching) everything.

8. Ken Anderson

After thinking that I had discovered it for the first time, I noticed that I had already created an account with Minds under "kfander," although that account has no content. The one that I have been actively using on Minds is under kenanderson, and can be found here.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I have totally forgotten about joining. I joined and then I got my new iPad and didn't bother saving it to my home screen.

Oh well, I was getting bored with it anyway...

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

I must have joined the first time when it was new and there was nothing there because I didn't even remember having seen it before.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am having trouble with Facebook this morning, at least with the app on my iPad. When I try to look at my groups, i get a message that the link doesn’t work.
    At first, I thought maybe they were taking off more of the “alternative” groups (since I belong to some of those); but then I realized that I haven’t joined any new ones that would be controversial, and an intermittent fasting group should not be being banned from Facebook.
    Apparently, other people have had trouble with Facebook lately, too, and they think it is some kind of a server problem. When I actually go to the website, it all works fine from there.

Anyway, all of this got me to thinking about how facebook and twitter and even youtube seem to be locking down conservative pages and groups, and especially ones for alternative news.
    I read that even Alex Jones is having problems.
    Then, I remembered @Ken Anderson talking about a facebook alternative that he had joined, so I went hunting for his thread about it, and that is how I got here.

Now that you have belonged for a while, Ken, what to you think about Minds.com ?
    Are some of the conservative people moving there because they are being shut down on facebook ? Does it have something similar to the facebook groups ?

12. Ken Anderson

It's a good platform. There doesn't seem to be any particular political bias to it, and it could easily replace Facebook if everyone moved there. However, I was an active member there for over a year and the only other person I knew there was my wife. The main thing that Facebook has going for it is that so many people are there. Unless something happens like whatever it was that prompted everyone to move from MySpace to Facebook occurs, we'll be stuck with Facebook. Minds made a change in their format a few months ago and, since I didn't know anyone there anyhow, I didn't bother to try to figure it out, and haven't been back.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

My thought was that I would definitely continue with facebook because that is one of the main ways that I interact with my family and friends, and Facebook is great for that.
    Where it falls short (for me) is th involvement with some of the groups and other people that I am interested in reading what they write. It occurred to me that maybe some of the people who are being criticized and ostracized from Facebook will probably move to a more open and welcoming platform, and that maybe Minds would be one of those places.
    I discovered that they have an ipad app; so I will check them out a little and see if I can get the hang of how it works.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have tried many times to log in with minds.com but have nothing but problems have no idea why. Maybe it is an out of country IP address

15. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just never had the urge to broadcast my life to strangers or find out about their lives. Posting, texting and emailing are very poor ways of communicating since it lacks visual clues and something said in jest can be taken the wrong way. That is why Emojis were developed but there are so many now that when I see a string of them I have no idea of what some of them mean.

I do not care what others are doing as long as it does not affect me. I saw my inlays get involved in a major online fight with family and friends due go a poorly worded Facebook post. So many people took sides and created animosity and it was just plan ugly.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.