Minor Holidays

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Corie Henson, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

On Friday, August 21, we are observing the death of Ninoy Aquino who was assissinated in the airport in 1983. He was an opposition leader at the time against President Marcos who was declared a dictator. On this occasion, people are happy that they have a free day for themselves. Such occasions are observed only by some government agencies while the whole country is planning for a brief vacation since it is a long weekend.

I guess holidays are being declared not for the significance of that day but just to give people a rest.

2. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

If a national holiday falls on a Sunday, does it carry over into Monday? The reason I ask is that when I worked in Eritrea, if such a holiday fell on a Sunday, then it was just tough luck - you didn't get a day off!

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Registered

This Sunday, August 30, is another national holiday which is actually observed on the last Sunday of August - Linggo ng Wika - National Language week (I don't know if my translation is accurate). But anyway, the holiday is in observance of our national language, i.e. Filipino, and the people are enjoined to be aware of such language particularly now that we are in the digital age and globalization is eating up the culture of the nations. As per tradition, the following Monday which is August 31 will be a holiday, no work in public and private offices.

4. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Language should be our most treasured asset regardless each one's country is and the mother tongue we speak, so I really like to know there is a holiday to celebrate Filipino language.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It seems like most of the major holidays that we have here in the United States have lost the original meaning, and now are just a way for the working people to have a break from work for several days.
    Although I think that it is sad that we have lost the reasons for the celebrations , it is good for people to have the little mini-vacations to spend time with their family.
    Some people have no idea what the holiday was originally for, and they always have those programs on television that show a reporter asking people what the holiday is celebrating. Even on July Fourth, many people only had a vague idea of wht we were celebrating, who the independance was from, and when it happened.

We just had Labor Day here, which was the last main holiday until Thanksgiving, although we do have Veteran's Day coming up before then.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You're right, @Yvonne Smith -- that's why we have newspeople wishing everyone a happy Memorial Day, forgetting that Memorial Day was not intended for picnics and celebrations of time off of work, and that Memorial Day wasn't intended to be happy.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Corie Henson

Registered

Today is Eid'l Adha (not sure with the spelling), a Muslim holiday that commemorates something related to their religion. It was actually yesterday, Sept 24 but our president decided to move the holiday today, Sept 25 to give the workers a long holiday. Gee, that's pretty good because we are leaving for Vietnam tonight and I don't need to be absent from work.

Don't be mistaken. The Muslims is a minority group here, maybe 10% or less. It's only when Noynoy Aquino became president that Muslim holidays are being declared national holiday, there are 2 - eid'l fitr which is the end of Ramadhan (their fasting period) and today's holiday.

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I usually celebrate Memorial Day by watching Pearl Harbor. To me, that sets the solemn tone and makes me more appreciative of the sacrifices of those who've served to protect our country, our freedom, and our sovereignty.

I do like having a day free from (most) telemarketers, though, on the other minor holidays.