Missed Opportunities

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Sir Walter Pasty, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Sir Walter Pasty

Sir Walter Pasty Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The ability to predict future events in my life, educational efforts, work career, virtually everything turned out antaganonistically

Bobby Cole and Sir Walter Pasty like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep - there have been 3 opportunities to make it in showbusiness, 'I could have been a contender' :p
    No regrets though :)

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I was proposed to by a well known Multi Millionaire when I was in my late 20's.. and he was in his early 50's....! I couldn't do it, I liked him, but there was no romance on my part and I could never have married for money.

What about You @Sir Walter Pasty ?:)

5. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

A friend of mine wanted me to go on the road with him and learn how to drive an eighteen wheeler. Being as I love to see this country of ours and have never had a problem living out of a suitcase, I think it would have been a perfect vocation for me.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Once when I was in line at a gas station, the person ahead of me bought a "quick pick" lottery ticket and won $10,000. If I had only walked a little faster. :p

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Chris--our youngest son didn't want to go to college and had a hard time finding his way in life. He went to a local community college and got a CDR (commercial license) and drove a big rig for a Utah trucking company as an OTR long-haul driver. He loved the travel and driving, but it is a solitary life. Truck drivers are treated with no respect; after driving sometimes for days to get a load to a destination, he'd have to wait for hours on end to be unloaded.

Many times the customer didn't have dock hands to unload and he'd end up having to do it himself, which he was not paid to do. (These were huge loads of refrigerated cargo.) People would talk down to him and were very disrespectful. Not to mention traffic and other drivers cutting them off and driving erratically, etc. After a year, he was ready to go back to school for a better career path. :D

I learned a whole new respect for commercial drivers after my son's experiences.

8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I was approached by Aliens from a far distant planet when I was 17. They wanted to take me back with them to be their King.

THEN I WOKE UP.

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

On the advice of my attorney, I decline to answer that question on the grounds that my answer would tend to incriminate me. ;)

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The only missed opportunities there were for me was on some one else's part. Not hiring me or asking me to marry them.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My "missed opportunity" was not continuing in college and getting at least an AA Degree in Business. Would've made my years working in warehouse/shipping/receiving/stockroom definitely a whole lot shorter. Could've also taken a few night classes in Purchasing/Inventory Management, of which I was very interested in both, but didn't. Most companies don't even pay any attention to online classes/certificates. I did get one of those for Purchasing/Inventory Management.

Most of my Purchasing/Inventory Management experience came from OJT, which is basically not even done today.

12. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

No one has the "opportunity" to predict the future, so you didn't miss anything as the OP asked. Your post doesn't make sense.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ruby Begonia
    As you have likely noted, few of my posts make sense!
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Sir Walter Pasty like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Oh, I don't know. It might have made sense for me to have stayed with Champion Paper Company, as they offered to transfer those who wanted to stay to one of their paper mills when they closed their bag plants down. Champion became part of International Paper, but they are still in business, so I might have had a nice retirement package. But then, I would have never become a paramedic, which is the job that I enjoyed most in my life, and I would have never met my wife. It might have made sense to stay with Texas State Technical College since it's practically impossible to lose a job with a state college, it pays well and has good benefits, but then, what else would have changed in my life.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, Ken... with many "did I make the right choice?" situations, it may have been a missed opportunity or perhaps we skirted disaster. We'll never know for certain.