Modern Culture

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Mal Campbell, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I had to laugh. I just got an email from my almost 90 year old aunt, and the subject was "Modern Culture". It contained a bunch of photos and graphics, some of which I've listed below. It seems that she, too, thinks we've become a little too dependent on technology.

iris 4.jpg

iris 2.jpg

iris 3.jpg

iris 5.jpg

2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

What makes me laugh, or rather I should say it makes me sad, is how people who spend money on tickets to a live event then go and film the whole thing on their smart phones. The don't actually see what they have paid for, and only appear to be there so they can watch a shakey recording of it later.

The latest trend is to use a 'selfie stick' - an extending pole that allows people to take photos of themselves from a distance. Several museums have had to put up notices banning their use inside, because of the potential damage these sticks could to to precious objects.

3. Sheryll Green

Sheryll Green Veteran Member
    Registered

This is a great post and unfortunately so true. I recall one day being at home with my boys and receiving a text message. The message was from my oldest son, when I texted back to ask him where he was, he responded...in my room. Needless to say I lost it! :confused:

4. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh well, I remember when I was young, we would yell from our room and my mother would get upset. She thought raising your voice was uncivilized. She expected us to come into whatever room she was in if we wanted to talk to her or ask a question. So I guess at least your son has the "not yelling" thing down!! ;)

5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

People have gotten so rude with these phones. It is the way of todays society and it is not just the young ones.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems like technology is making slaves out of us. Although I am not a phone addict but I see young people holding on to their phones wherever and whenever they are. One even remarked that you can take away her boyfriend but not her phone because she would die. This phone issue is getting to our nerves so we have a standing rule in the house that phones are taboo in the dining area. When we eat, we eat and talk or we just eat but no phones. We are becoming zombies with a world of our own inside that rectangular gadget.

7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I had an engineer round the other day to fit some new electric and gas meters. He seemed very pained that I had no interest in one of these apps that allow you to control my central heating, etc. from a phone. I'm hardly a Luddite, but honestly...

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we are somewhat the modern "techy" type. Both of us have iPhones. Mine is a 6, that I just got a few months ago and my wife has a 4s. We love them! Will never go back to a regular cell phone like we use to have. Wife loves to play the games she has on hers and I do much more on mine with the different apps that I have. We have FaceTime (Apple product). Use it and love it. We have Blu-Ray Player that we love for movies. Love our Wii Game as well.

There are some modern "techy" type things that just cost to much and we aren't interested in anyway.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome, Cody! Sounds like you are up to date!
    [​IMG]

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Thought maybe this a good place to post this. Why do young people who are wealthy and have more than they need, plus a child already...expecting another child baby shower? This shower is called a Springle Shower. Um okay.
    Then they register what all they think they need...or want.
    I just don't get it myself.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

The same reason they have gender reveal parties. (Whoop-de-freakin-do. :rolleyes:) Then the photo shoot of the pregnant woman in a formal gown, standing in a field. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Who comes up with this stuff for the entitled? Ugh.

Frank Sanoica and Hedi Mitchell like this.