Modern Songs

Discussion in 'Music' started by Val White, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

We all remember the words and music from our youth, and it is often said that the music of today's generation is electronically manipulated music by kids that have no talent and cannot sing. (Sounds familiar)

There is good music out there by some very good artist who can actually sing and deserve credit.

Please share your modern music either singer or group that you enjoy [​IMG]

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm sure there are plenty of good singers but I have no idea who they are. I listen to oldies station or pick songs I like on youtube.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

The lyrics "I really, really, really, really, really, really, really like you" is the reason i listen to classic rock and folk

4. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Not all of today's music is bad, but I couldn't name a single song nor even could sing a complete strophe of any of them despite sometimes I listen to modern songs along the way that really like me, but don't move me to find who the singer or the title of the song could be.

5. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

The singer from the 1982 Norwegian group A Ha

6. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Let's be fair, we only think back to music from our time as being 'good' because we forgot about the bad songs. The next generation will most likely look back at the 2000s songs and regard them as 'good' too. There aren't 'old' songs or 'new' songs; there are only good ones and bad ones, and the good ones tend to be remembered.

Val White likes this.
  7. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you John and I agree with your comment. Another factor is the type of music we each prefer. My taste is very varied and usually I play music that suits me at the time. In my youth I tended to hover between a ballad type and anything with drums and a great guitar rift and music is always being resurrected in one form or another,

Another take on the Fistful of Dollars score

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    Allie Seay likes this.
  8. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

I know there are some good musicians out there today, but I'm not all that familiar with any of it. I really don't listen much anymore, preferring the quiet most times. In the car I tend to listen to talk radio, but occasionally switch to a Christian rock station. Casting Crowns is about the only name that comes to mind. It seems I like them very well.

As far as the new music being all digitally doctored up to the point that no one needs talent anymore, it seems I heard some version of that same thought concerning mixing long before digital was a thing. I know I heard my mom say something like that when I was in my teens. I wonder what they said when she was in hers.

9. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

Not crazy about today's music. Love my ITunes as I have a large collection of old country music, most of the artist have passed but their music lives on. Plus, one can understand what they are saying.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I all but quit listening to music in the late 1970s and 1980s, as there seemed to be so little that was worth listening to. Plus, that was a busy time in my life since I was raising a son as a single parent.

11. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Understood and respected Ken. No matter how busy I have been I have always found quiet time to listen to music either from my own collection or radio. If during radio time I hear an artist that interests me I then source their music with view to adding. Still have singles,eps and lp's from the 50's onwards :)