Mother's Attention

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Patsy Faye, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Too many times I have seen Mothers ignore their children while fixated on their mobile phones
    A little boy I noticed was truly lost wandering down the shop aisle with his Mother - he looked
    so dejected. He looked at the items then his Mum and so it went on, she was totally oblivious to
    him being there.
    I was told of a boy on a train looking at the scenery and wanting his Mother to share his joy at
    the animals he was viewing. She told him to play his video gaming gadget :rolleyes:
    This really upsets me - I hope these children don't repeat the Mothers big mistakes :(

Janice Martin and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I can't judge unless I know all the circumstances, the mother of that little boy could have spent the whole day playing with him and then went to the store...don't know.

I think this generation is pretty good with their kids, at least what I've seen. Also wasn't it previous generations that said children should be seen and not heard? :)

Yes, there are terrible mothers, then and now. Thankfully I had a wonderful mom and it's going to be a tough Mother's Day for me this year. :(

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. Patsy Faye

Registered

This was 9am and I sympathise with the children because it drives me crazy seeing these women glued to
    their phones in a shop - in a car, why can't they just wait :(

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well then maybe she went to the store and when she goes home she will play all day. :)

Or maybe her shopping list was on her phone...mine sometimes is. I'm not making excuses for this mom but just don't know the whole story.

Missy Lee likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

The whole story for me is the Mother had her back to the boy the whole time fiddling with that phone
    If he'd wandered off, she wouldn't have known
    Theres a time and place for everything and while out, your focus should be on your children
    Even at checkout they can't turn the bloomin' thing off

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I thought he was in a shopping cart...yes walking by himself is different.

In a cart it's the same as looking at your shopping list

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

No, he was behind her 'all' the way

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's different

I never take my eye off of any child I'm watching!

Missy Lee likes this.
  9. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

These days you take your eyes off for a few seconds and they can snatch a kid in a busy store and be off before you can scream for help.

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It drives me crazy watching young mothers pushing a buggy or a pram..and kids walking by their sides.. and the mother on the phone completely ignoring the kids..I see it all the time, and especially the endless times I've seen mothers crossing a busy road, toddlers by their sides , yet so engrossed in their phone call they're taking very little notice of the traffic.

I often also see kids out in parks or restaurants with their parents... sitting in a high chair given an ipad or sometimes nothing at all to look at while the parents sit looking at facebook on their phones..children as you say patsy running up to mother and wanting her to 'come see''... and being totally ignored..

It's heartbreaking because those children are essentially being raised by electronic parents.

there was an article in the media not so long ago.. where a 5 year old had started school, and the teacher was puzzled as to why the child had an American accent as her parents were English... only to discover after further investigation that the parents rarely spoke to the child.. he was fed and washed, but his company and his minder were American speaking cartoons on an Ipad and on TV ... and it's where he'd learned to talk...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Brought a tear to me eye there Holly
    I too have seen this 'many' times - its hard to keep quiet and move on :(

@Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm still trying to figure out what's on those phones that keep people staring at them. I'm obviously on the internet and I like having a computer. I guess it's social media they are checking constantly?

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes , usually Facebook..et al..

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yesterday, a Mother was at checkout aisle and a woman took her 18 month old child from the trolley
    and walked out. The Mother ran after her and she was caught.
    IF, the Mother was using the phone, I hope she never does again ..........

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, I think we all need to understand how some parenting is done today. Back when we were these kids age, didn't have all these distractions/electronics. It just isn't the same "day and age" anymore. However, there are parents out there that do pay attention to their kids when in a store. Thing is, parents get tired of saying "no you can't have that" whenever their kid see's something they want. Sometimes the parent has to take an item out of their kids hands that the kid took off of the shelf. A lot of the "olden days" of "family togetherness" is gone. Just the way it is.

On top of that, there are plenty of fathers (and moms) that work many, many hours during the week and don't hardly even see their kids. The family lives the "good life", but at the expense of not seeing one, or even both, parents that much.