Mother's Day In France : Fête De Mères

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Julie Stewart, May 29, 2016.

1. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

The Fête de Mères is always on the last Sunday of May - ie: today. My daughter had planned to come by train from Paris to have lunch with me, but there was a delay with the train due to a deluge!

It doesn't really matter - I shall go to Paris for a weekend very soon and we'll have even longer than planned together to chat and shop and eat. As soon as we knew she couldn't make it Dany nipped out and bought me a rose and then we opened a bottle of champagne and talked about our mothers who are no longer around to share the champagne that they both loved so much!

In France on every Sunday florists and bakers are busy - but on the last Sunday of May they have queues around the block. People can be seen struggling to their cars with a huge flower arrangement or two and pretty boxes tied with spiraling ribbon full of goodies from the boulangerie.

The Fête de Mères almost had a dark start in France as it was the Vichy régime which tried to establish it - and include a lot of self-serving propaganda into the event.

It was established as a regular calendar event in 1950. Followed by :

The Fête de Pères : 2nd Sunday in June - started 1952
    The Fête de Grand Mères : 1st Sunday in March - started 2007
    The Fête de Grand Pères : 1st Sunday in October - started 2008

Fete-des-meres.jpg

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting, I never knew any of that information. Thanks for posting that Julie Stewart. Mother's Day is celebrated in many countries all over the world, but the date varies. I think that is the only way it is really different.

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Isn't Mother's Day wonderful! We celebrated Mother's Day 2016 quietly here in Hawaii. It's just Mom and I and she is 90. My Dad passed in 2008. It is a nice time to celebrate family when Mother's Day and Father's Day comes around each year...don't forget Grandparent's Day coming which is the first Sunday after Labor Day.

Patsy Faye and Julie Stewart like this.
  4. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

A "Grandparent's Day" makes sense - as you can see from my list above, here in France there is a Grandmother's Day (March) and Grandfather's Day (October) - commercialization I'd say!

Krissttina Isobe and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Adored my Grandmother - think of her every day

Julie Stewart likes this.
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)At least they remember Grandparents as well as parents. In Japan there's a Girl's Day March 3rd and Boy's day May 5th. Glad there are days to celebrate people and gives us a chance to indulge in a bit of happy!