Movie, Black Panther

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We rented the movie last night and all we can say is........the black community got what they really wanted, a huge blockbuster movie. Cast is 97% black and has both Angela Bassett and Forest Whitaker in it, whom are both excellent actors. This is Marvel Comics first black superhero, but he doesn't fight crime like other superhero's, like Will Smith done in Hancock. We have Hancock on dvd.

This is a statement from a website talking about the movie:

Black Panther is more than a movie, it's a cultural phenomenon. A necessary and joyous tribute to being black, not just in America, but in the global African diaspora. Celebrities are buying out theaters in underserved neighborhoods so black children can see faces like their own onscreen. Nigerians, Kenyans and Ghanaians are sporting traditional garb to see the movie. The Director of the movie himself is black. In more traditional "he is the King" type movies, the King's Guards are men, but in Black Panther this is completely replaced with black women who can really fight to protect their King.

To wife and I, the movie was ok, but we do congratulate the black community and actors for a movie excellent done. It us much more of a "I will challenge the King and replace him" movie than anything else. It is really a "fantasy" type movie in many ways using "out of this world" weapons.

The only other movie, and we didn't see it, was Straight Outta Compton, that had mostly black actors. But, then again, part of my EMS area back in the mid 70's, was Compton and my partner in the Unit was black and a wonderful EMT.

Would I recommend seeing Black Panther? Yes, and no. We didn't watch the entire movie, because some of the talking was in the native tongue of Kenya, Africa with English as subtitles. Lots of black on black fighting done to overthrow the King.

But, to the black cast, Director, Producers and all of the rest involved in the movie, only three words can describe this move...…….VERY WELL DONE!!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Nice review. I'll probably watch it when it comes on Netflix. We go to the theater but only a few times a year.