Movie, Bohemian Rapsody

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I are huge Queen fans, but I'm not to sure about this movie. The guy playing Freddy Mercury is Rami Malek. Rami was in the movie, Night At The Museum as the mummy of Pharaoh Ahkmenrah.

Even though, from what I understand, Freddy Mercury didn't admit he was gay, but his fans could see that he was in his singing and moving around on stage and admitted that. When Brian May, lead guitar player for Queen, was asked about Rami's performance of Freddy, Brian said "Rami was terrific".

We will end up seeing the movie, but not pay a theater price to see it. Will rent it and watch at home.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I liked Queen also and especially Freddie Mercury. I won't pay to see the movie but will watch it when it streams somewhere even if I have to pay to rent it..just don't like going to movies by myself.

Ive seen a few documentaries on him and some say at first he was bisexual....

I think at first he even tried very hard to hide the fact he had Aids....

Too bad....by what Ive read and watched about him....he died too young but those are the risks you take sometimes ....not blaming him for being gay because I don't care but needles and gay sex was the main cause of AIDS back then.

Plus blood transfusions. :(

3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Here's the trailer....

4. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a huge Freddie Mercury fan and feel like we lost a beautiful soul when he passed. I've seen many documentaries on his life - both on and off the stage - and feel fulfilled. I won't be seeing the movie.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We have a dvd concert of Queen and, in some ways, I can see the "bi-sexual" or "gay" thing about him, but not nearly as much as what I seen in Boy George.

Not only was Freddy great singing, but playing piano also. Him, Brian May and the rest of Queen really did ROCK.

Maggie Mae likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wasn't a big Queen fan but couldn't help but enjoy the Bohemian Rhapsody.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

The group, IMO, was a wonderfully-talented musically-gifted group who played their hearts out. Hearing their first
    hit, and enjoying it immensely, I had no idea about the deep hidden facts pertaining to their personal lives. Nor would I have cared, had I then known. Now, I do, and am revulsed. I cannot help but wonder what it is that keeps the public interest as "honed" as it is................once it learns...........

The beginnings of the AIDS problem seems to have coincided closely with Queens' demise. Among others.

Frank

8. Harley Price

Harley Price Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I saw the movie this week and thought it was fantastic.
    i would recommend it to anyone who loved Queen's music, though this was Freddie's story.
    It really needs to be seen on the big screen to really appreciate it.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We decided that we will see it, but have to wait until my eyes get better from cataract surgery. If it's still in theaters by then, will see it there, if not, will rent it and watch at home.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Seen it at local movie theater yesterday afternoon. Except for a couple of men "kissing" scenes, we really, really enjoyed the movie. The last part got my wife "teary-eyed" as well as a man, sitting next to his wife, a few seats down from us. The cast was absolutely superb!!

During the "Upcoming Movies", we seen the trailer for a movie about Elton John, called Rocketman. No thanks!

11. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Whenever I hear Queen I am transported back to my favorite pub in Oxford called 'Oranges & Lemons' (it was on St. Clemens!) Dark & smokey, laughing & talking with my friends with (usually) Queen or punk in the background on the jukebox. First time I heard them. Whenever I hear them, it's like the first time.

I usually see movies on HBO, etc. even if I have to wait.

The pub no longer exists. I checked.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My brother got his masters degree at Oxford university in the 70's. He's a university professor of physics and statistical math but retired this year.

He met his wife in England and when he came back to the states, they married. They used to live in New Haven CT but now that he's retired they moved to Flemington NJ and bout a house in a 55+ community.

Moved because CT taxes SOC Sec and also to be nearer their only child and two young grandkids.

Lulu Moppet likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Seeing, in the movie, how Another One Bites The Dust, came to being was very, very cool. And then, seeing the cast sing We Are The Champions at Live Aid...........just so, so great.

Freddy Mercury had his problems, but what a singer, crowd motivator and piano player he was. And, Brian May is one of the best Lead Guitar players I've ever seen!

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I am weird ..I guess... I liked many bands and singers back in my day....but never to the point of going to concerts, getting history on three singer and etc.
    I have heard so much about this movie that will watch it...but not in theater.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One thing for sure, Gloria, a person has to love rock from the mid 70's thru the 80's, of which Queen was a major part of. They became a major concert draw in the early/mid 80's. They were loud, just like ZZ Top. The song "We Are The Champions" was played after the Los Angeles Lakers (NBA) won the World Championship. The crowd went nuts.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.