Moving Is Work!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL, so it's up to you to make them aware? They don't care. Why should you care if they don't think of it as Colorado?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well little lady, here in the Lone Star State we call it "all hat and no cattle." Now I've got to go rustle up some vittles. :p

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Y'all leave Cody alone!!!!! Can't you see that he is too busy to mess with y'all?:D

Cody, moving is 'bout the worst job I ever had. When we moved to this house, I said I hoped it was for the last time. Good luck with your journey to your new home. I hope you love it.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    I will be very surprised if you do not already know this. I had an English teacher once long ago who chided a student for calling food "vittles", explaining that the correct word is "victuals", and the other is considered vulgar.

"Vittles is an old-time word for food which we tend to associate with the rural South, cowboys, pioneers, mountain men, and the like. It actually comes from Middle English, by way of French.

It is sometimes suggested that victuals is the proper way of saying vittles and that vittles is simply a vulgar misspelling of a more refined word. The history of the word in English and in French tells a different story."

See: https://culinarylore.com/food-history:vittles-origin/

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, Frank. I am fully aware. I guess you missed that I was teasing Holly in "cowboy talk."

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher
    I worded my post with tactlessness, and apologize for any inference of one or the other knowing more or less. Had it not been for a remark by a teacher long ago, and the deep impression it must have made, I would not have known. :oops:

Frank

7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

packing.jpg

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

haha..that's exactly what happens... I've moved house 17 times.. I knowwwwwww :eek::D

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Our move from Texas to Maine was pretty easy. While we packed up the small stuff into boxes, the movers did everything else. In fact, since my wife and I were in separate cars, and I took the shortcut once we got into Maine, putting me about two hours behind my wife, who stayed on I-95, everything was unloaded by the time I got here. The movers got here a few hours before either of us. I have also moved several times and, while I generally hate moving, I like being moved. Once I am into a new house, it's fun figuring out where to put things.

It's like the first hard drive that I ever got for a computer. It was a whole MB, I believe, and I didn't' think I'd ever fill it up. Our house was like that. Previously a three-unit apartment building, it's hard to believe that we can't find room to put stuff now.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

OK, @Cody Fousnaugh , tomorrow is the big day. Are you ready? Are you excited? What time do y'all leave? Be sure to make notes of things that happen during your trip. We want to hear about them. Maybe you should keep a journal. Take pictures if you can.

Have a good trip. :D

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Holly Saunders I also think big garbage bags are essential moving needs. I have used them for anything that wouldn't break. Then, tie them up carefully so I could use them for regular garbage later.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We got here a week ago. I drove the entire way of 1,800 miles. That was fine with me. We left Jacksonville, FL on Sunday August 4th at 10AM and arrived here at the apartment complex in Loveland on Thursday August 8th at 2PM. Ran into some heavy rain on I70 west of Topeka. Traffic going thru Atlanta wasn't too bad, but the traffic going thru Kansas City was pretty much horrific. I just didn't want to go as fast as those folks did. Didn't go slow either.

Since we threw away one old, and broken, recliner in our old apartment complex and gave the other to the Salvation Army, we bought a pair here. Both are fully electric and the set are like a loveseat. They are very nice, but to small to sleep. Actually bought our old recliners when we lived in Colorado before and bought the new ones thru the same company.

Our furniture arrived this last Wednesday and we are doing a lot of unpacking. This new apartment is smaller than our Jacksonville one, even though it is a 2-bedroom as well.

Have Colorado license plates on our vehicle now. Wanted to get the Florida one off.

We will be here for a year or so, than, most likely, make our final retirement place in Cheyenne, Wyoming. It is much more Western related than here, but doesn't have the lakes like here. By that time we move a last time, our "boating days" will end, so Cheyenne will be fine for us.

To us, a LOT more niceer people here than ever was in Jacksonville, FL.. We may hear a siren once during the day, compared to multiple times in Jacksonville.

One last thing, I did fall while taking a shower last Friday. The shower is inside of the tub and there was no rubber mat on the tub floor. I had just told my wife that we needed a mat, suds down my chest and went to turn around to rinse, slid and flew out of the shower/tub. Landed on the floor, but the left side of my forehead hit the corner of the sink. Thank God the corner was rounded, not square. Didn't get knocked out, but there was some blood. Wife and I got most of the bleeding to stop and, with her in the passengers seat, I drove to the nearby ER. I was basically in good spirits, with very little pain. Got one inside stitch and 6 outside stitches. Go now to get the stitches removed. IOW, I was really, really lucky the fall wasn't worse.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So glad to hear that your trip went well overall, and that you are getting settled in your new apartment now. Glad that the fall and bump to your head was not any worse, and I agree that shower mats are always important.
    I did one of those slip in the tub and fall things a few years back, so we have made sure that there is a good non-skid mat in there ever since then.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Glad you made the move in good condition, @Cody Fousnaugh even if you did have an accident afterwards. Enjoy your year in Colorado. I think Cheyenne is a good choice as a "landing spot". Better than Colorado actually.

Bess Barber likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Glad y'all made it and are getting settled in. After all the trouble of moving I can't believe you're already talking about moving somewhere else.

Sorry about your fall in the shower and that you weren't hurt too badly. A coworker of mine had a similar accident and was permanently brain damaged from it. Our lives can certainly be changed in an instant.

Bess Barber and Don Alaska like this.