Musicals

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, May 4, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For most of my childhood, we didn't have a television. When we did get a television, we were so far from the television stations that only one channel came in reliably, and at most three.

As kids, the only time we got to choose what we watched on television - or if we watched - was on Friday nights. Fridays were the only night when our one reliable station broadcast all night; otherwise, it went off the air at eleven. My parents would let us stay up all night watching television on Fridays although, in reality, we usually fell asleep on the floor not too long after midnight.

If neither of our parents was home, we might turn the television on, and we wouldn't get in any trouble over it, but when they came home it almost always had to go off, whether or not we were in the middle of a show.

Usually, dad chose what we watched. Bringing this on-topic, musicals were big then, and I can remember countless times when we (my brothers and I) would line up in front of the television because a movie was coming on, and the disappointment we all felt when someone would start singing. "No! No! Please, not singing!"

This even happened with Westerns. They would take what might have otherwise been a perfectly good movie and then ruin it with singing. Once someone started singing, we would all drift off in search of something else to do. Friday nights were good though. There were never any musicals on Friday nights.

Although I have since come across a few musicals that I actually liked, I don't feel much different about musicals now as I did then.

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

It took me a long time to like and understand musicals. I've seen a number that really enjoyed but I'm not a fan.

Patsy Faye and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I remember that the Rodger & Hammerstein’s musicals were all the big thing back when I was a kid, and I truly hated that , too. I couldn’t figure out why they ruined what might have been a passingly decent movie by standing around and singing all of the time.
    I guess there might be a couple of exceptions.
    Since I really liked Yul Brynner, I was okay with the singing in the movie, “The King and I” ; but even then, i would have preferred the movie without it.
    The other exception might not even count as one, since I am not sure it qualified as an actual musical, and that would have been the singing Westerns, starring people like Roy Rogers or Gene Autry.
    They always managed to get a song or two into the movie somewhere, but it was not a focal point of the movies in the westerns.

Then, of course, after Elvis started making movies , we had movies that had lots of songs in them, but since I loved listening to Elvis sing, I had a whole different attitude about those movies.
    Really, the movie was just kind of a background for Elvis singing, and probably not what we can call a musical either.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

A song or two in a Western, while sitting around a campfire or something, was okay, but a waste of my viewing time. I never watched a whole Elvis movie.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Love musicals, I like to be entertained - made the world a brighter place and a chance to see exceptional talent

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oooooh I'm with you @Patsy Faye , I luuurve musicals... perhaps it's a girl thing, but I'm a huge fan I can watch them over and over again, especially if there's big dance scenes like 7 Brides for 7 brothers, or Oklahoma.. or Oliver... fabulous!!

Patsy Faye and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess because I like music just about as much as I like a good movie...combining the two into Musicals was just fine with me. The Sound of Music definitely would not have been the same without the music to me. :)

And Grease and Mama Mia I can't see without the singing either.

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

Saw the Sound of Music 14 times, I'm over it now :p but it was sheer delight

Babs Hunt likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I still like to watch it with my younger grandkids...and they always enjoy it too. :)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh yes, they must see it, I would do the same

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Another one we all like to watch together is "The Wizard of Oz" and we enjoy the singing in that one too. :)

12. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ah yes ! Such a good movie, can't believe it was made in 1939 - superb !
    Its perfection, seen many times, we have the DVD so will watch again this year

Babs Hunt and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Only slightly off topic but I spent a great deal of time in my much younger years in the school chorus, glee club, band and orchestra. So, it would follow that a lot of the music we sang and played was from some movie musicals and for the most part a musical I hadn’t seen but others of my same ilk had.

Until I made an effort to watch them (when my dad wasn’t home) it was like reading the synopsis of a book instead of reading the entirety of it. A song was a song without knowing what circumstance surrounded the reasoning of it.

Later on, I did enjoy watching Jesus Christ Superstar so much that I tried out for a got a part (Caiphus) in a New Orleans off broadway production of it.

As an afterthought, (edit) I liked “Paint Your Wagon” although Lee Marvin nor Clint Eastwood were just not made for singing without some electronic tuning apparatus.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

I find there's always a good link to a song - not that I've seen 'every' musical - yet :p

15. Ken Anderson

The Wizard of Oz was good, as was Jesus Christ Superstar, which I rewatched only a week or so ago. I liked Chicago, and the Beatles movies would have been better without the poor excuse for a move they were built around. Overall though, a movie is one thing and a concert is another. I like both, but would rather not mix them. But then, I didn't much care for music videos either.