My Athletic Skills

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Hal Pollner, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello,

I've never been on a pair of Skis in my life.
    I've never been on a pair of Ice Skates in my life.
    I've never been on a Surfboard in my life.

During P.E. periods in High School, whenever I came up to bat during Baseball, the outfield would all come up to the infield, because they knew I couldn't hit the ball very far, or even at all.

When I got 4 balls, I didn't know what to do, until the Catcher pushed me on the back and shouted "Take your base!" Then I was told to go to first base on a Walk.

During Football, I was really confused. not knowing what to do or where to go when the ball was snapped.
    During one scrimmage I played an End, and I'll never forget the P.E. Teacher yelling, "What was that dumb end doing?"

Basketball was another game that I knew nothing about, and when I became over 6 feet tall in later years,
    Coaches would ask me to come out for Basketball, and I told them I didn't like basketball.
    The coach would then say "You're too skinny for Football.", and I told them it didn't matter, because I don't like Football either!

The only game I could actually play without being insulted was Kickball, which was played like baseball, with a basketball which was rolled to the "Kicker", who kicked the ball and ran the bases unless he was thrown out by being hit with the basketball.

Later on, I found that I was pretty good at the Shooting Sports and Archery.

That's it...
    "No Hitter Hal"

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Bill Boggs likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Way to go, Hal. Keep on at whatever till you find your nitch. Looks like you did.

3. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

It's nice that you found your niche.
    Used to love to play kickball in the front yard as a kid.
    Not so much at school.

4. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Just noticed this thread posted twice. The first at 12:18 PM, the next at 12:42 PM.

5. Hal Pollner

Registered

I took care of that, Emma.
    Hal

Emma Smith likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

But can you fish?:D

7. Hal Pollner

Registered

No, @Shirley, I can't fish! :(

When I departed in August,1969 on our Honeymoon with my first wife for the Lake Isabella resort town of Kernville, I bought a Rod & Reel, Hooks, Sinkers, Floats, Net, and Bait, with the idea of having fun fishing for Rainbow Trout in the Kern River, which ran by our honeymoon cottage.

I tried every day to catch a trout with no luck, and finally, at the last day of our stay at the resort, I tried once more at a place in the river that really looked like a promising spot. After a few minutes I shouted to my wife who was about 50 yards upriver from me: "Hey Sandy...look at me!", and then I dumped all my fishing gear in the river!

I also recall telling the Kern River what it could do with its Rainbow Trout!

Cheers,
    Hal

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019