My Grandson Becoming A Pilot!

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Yvonne Smith, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am not sure if I can post the video from Facebook; but i will try, and hopefully, it will work. Today is my grandson's birthday, and he is in Idaho and taking his mom, dad , and brother out for an airplane ride .
    He started pilot training school this summer, and has posted a few pictures from some of the flights he has taken as he is learning to fly.
    The training school is in Seattle, and he wants to become a commercial airline pilot. So, today, he went to north Idaho, where my son and daughter-in-law and other grandson live; and took them all up for an airplane ride. Today is my son's anniversary, so it is kind of a double celebration.
    Anyway, I am just SO happy and proud of my grandson learning to be a pilot ! ! Maybe, one of these days, he will be able to fly out here and see us, too.

Edit: removed the link, it apparently does not work. will see if I can post a picture instead.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's awesome!

Happy birthday to him!

Couldn't see the vid, says link is broken.

Is it on your FB page? I looked and didn't see it or on his?

3. Yvonne Smith

Rats ! I tried the link and it worked for me, Chrissy. Yes, it is on my Facebook page. Well, I will just take out the link then if it does not work.
    Okay, here is a screen shot I took of part of the video, and you can see my grandsons in the plane. The one on the left side is my oldest grandson, and my son and DIL are in the back seat taking the video.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

What video was it? I looked on your page and your grandsons page and didn't see any videos.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That's great to have a grandson pilot. And he is making a demo by taking his family for a ride, that is a plane ride. I wish he would achieve his dream of being a commercial pilot.

My sister's only son also aspired to be a pilot. He studied in a flying school and was getting good grades in the classroom. However, one requirement was the actual flying which was very costly for the fee is on a per hour basis. From a rough calculation, he has to spend more than $25,000 to complete the required flying time. And his dream was snapped by that figure. Now he is working as a ground crew of the largest airline in our country and is currently assigned in a provincial airport.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Finally saw the video and it's pretty darn awesome! I'm beaming with pride just being a friend of his grandma!!

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Congratulations to you and the family Yvonne :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw the video on your facebook page. That's great.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That's great @Yvonne Smith, does he plan to use it just for personal use, or make it a career? I would have loved to have done something like that if I hadn't had limitations. My friend's son is a pilot and loves it. I love the idea of being able to just take off, and not have to wait for a commercial jet and crew to get everything together. Oops, for some reason I missed part of your post. Congrats to him, I think that career will be around for a while, unlike some others!

10. Yvonne Smith

This is costing a lot of money for my grandson to do, @Corie Henson . He has a large loan that he will have to repay; but it is deferred so that he can go through training and get certified to be a commercial pilot. Once he had achieved that and has a job and earning money, then he has to start paying back the loan.
    However, Bobby was telling me that some places that manufacture airplanes (he used Piper Cub as an example) will hire people and once they have proven themself as an employee, they have a program where you can take the pilot-training classes for free, and then become an employee flying for that company.
    Something like that might work for your nephew, instead of going into debt to learn to fly. He would actually learn for free, and be paid as an employee while he was learning to fly, and then afterwards he would have a job as a pilot there. It is something that he could check on anyway.
    You can have all of my share of flying, @Diane Lane ! ! I hate airplanes ! I have had to fly when I needed to get across the country, and Robin takes me somewhere; but I totally do NOT enjoy it, and listen to every little sound that the engine makes and wonder if we are going to crash and fall out of the sky every minute that I am up there. I actually do better at shutting that off now than I used to do; but I am sure that I would never want to learn to be a pilot under any circumstances.

Corie Henson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I never wanted to be a pilot but I don't mind flying, I'm not afraid of crashing. I just hope if it does crash, death is quick.

12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Same here. I used to be scared in flying trips but I got used to when we started traveling frequently in 2012. And being a fatalist, I also wish that if death comes, it would be quick and no pain.

I got a call yesterday from my sister, they were in the province to visit my nephew who is working as ground crew of Philippine Airlines. One of the perks of the company is the free flight (2 per year) they give not only to their employees but also to the families. So that gives my nephew's parents and siblings free flights - 1 domestic and 1 abroad. And although the dream of my nephew is to be a pilot, he is already happy with his job as a supervisor of the ground crew in that provincial airport. By the, it is our turn next week to visit my nephew, we will take the bus for the 8-hour trip but will take the plane on our way back home.

13. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

it would be fun to have a pilot in the family. I must admit I always secretly wanted my son to become a pilot so he could fly me around..lol. Well, once in a while he drives me somewhere, I guess that is the closest I am going to get!:):) Congrats to your grandson, it must be fun. My sister had a boyfriend who could fly, and she got inspired to go to ground school which is the first step toward learning to fly, but it never progressed beyond that point. I think she is out of the learning to fly mode now!

14. Yvonne Smith

I have an update that I wanted to share with everyone here !
    After finishing school to get his pilot’s license, my grandson went on to more training, and he next became a certified trainer, and has been teaching other people how to fly an airplane and get their pilot’s license. He is doing well, still living in the Seattle area, where he works, and it sounds like he intends to get married sometime this spring.
    Anyway, here is the (to me) really cool part........my grandson is now teaching my son how to fly an airplane !
    Since my oldest son has ALWAYS loved airplanes and flying, and even worked for an aircraft company for several years, it was probably that love of flying that encouraged the same thing for my grandson.
    Now, it is coming around full circle, and here he is, teaching his dad how to fly. Since my grandson is a certified teacher, probably my son will also be getting his pilot’s license once he has completed the necessary training.
    When I saw this on Facebook, and looked at the happy picture of the two of them flying in the plane, it just made me so happy (and proud) that it brought tears to my eyes.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Congratulations @Yvonne Smith ....it bought tears to my eyes reading your joy! :)

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.