My Hero Died Today Rip John Bogle

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks to joining Vanguard and following this man's investment wisdom I have done pretty well over the years and enjoy a financially secure old age.

A Bogglehead

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Other than enjoying some of his investment strategies, do you also employ his other personal attributes regarding the accumulation of wealth?
    He was a philanthropist and spoke a lot about humility. He also said that if you have to tell someone you’re a leader, then you’re not a leader.
    From my view, he wasn’t arrogant nor bragged about his wealth but simply kept on working as though he had very little.

He’s a hard act to follow but an act that needs to be followed by some of the very wealthy. I knew a man just like him. Bill Monteleone Sr. (now past) owned the largest hotel in the French Quarter in New Orleans. If a person didn’t know who he was there was no indication that he was a millionaire many, many times over.
    In essence, he, like Bogle, showed his wealth by the type of human he was to other humans rather than bragging of the wealth of his back pocket.

Yup, J. Bogle was indeed a great guy and I just wonder how many of his followers practice the rest of what he preached.

Lon Tanner and Yvonne Smith like this.