My Nation Is Burning

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Craig Wilson, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

'Prayers for Australia' is beautiful Lois x

Craig Wilson and Lois Winters like this.
  3. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

And @Ken Anderson guess who is being blamed for these infernos.. not the greenies and and the tree huggers..oh no. Climate change may not have been the direct cause but the affect of CO2 emissions from these huge blazes aint going to help the environment. So the greenies efforts to halt hazard reduction in our forests has been counter productive. Stupid.. stupid people. Things are so bad now for our population that the Australian Army Reserve has been mobilized to evacuate those hundreds if not thousands trapped by the fires.

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Milla Jonas

Milla Jonas Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Its all over our news that a well known plastic surgeon from Adelaide AND his father were killed on Kangaroo island in the horrific bush fire yesterday, I believe the surgeon was not only a doctor but a teacher of students studying plastic surgery.

Any loss of life is one to many:(

I’ve never been to kangaroo island I believe it’s a beautiful island just off the mainland of Adelaide
    I know of it , however Im not a great traveller other than visiting family in Melbourne

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-04/change-brings-relief-to-fire-ravaged-kangaroo-island/11840422

I live approx 3.5 hours from Adelaide so we get allot of news from South Australia

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A Rural Service volunteer has been charged with setting seven bushfires. -- 2GB 837AM

This is frequently the case with fires here in the US too. Volunteer firefighters join because they enjoy fighting fires, while paid firefighters don't mind sitting around, doing nothing, on the clock. I'm sure there's more to it than that, though. While many people volunteer because they care about their community, others join fire departments because they have a fascination with fire.

Nearly 200 people arrested across Australia for deliberately starting bushfires. -- Summit News

Yeah, I'd concede that the problems are man-made, but I wouldn't blame it on global warming.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My heart goes out to those who have been affected by the fires. I am just now reading this thread. It looks like from the map that @Yvonne Smith posted that @Craig Swanson was correct. His entire nation is burning.

What will be done to the arsonists who have been charged?

7. Craig Wilson

Registered

thanks you for the sentiment @Shirley Martin.

String em up by their dangly bits and have those that have lost their homes spit on them.:mad:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  8. Craig Wilson

Registered

[​IMG]

The Southern Ocean Lodge, Kangaroo Island. Before and after the inferno.

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The fires in Australia are just horrible. How did fires start on Kangaroo Island?

Lois Winters and Bess Barber like this.
  10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

At .49 on the video, you can see the Australian map imposed on the American map. The scope of this disaster is unbelievable. I didn't even realize it was such a large area.

Craig Wilson likes this.
  11. Craig Wilson

Registered

I expect the same way the others on the mainland have. Extreme temps, litening strikes, arson in areas that probably had less than adequate hazard reduction carried out in the cooler months.

12. Craig Wilson

Registered

Yep world's largest island and smallest continent @Bess Barber. The interesting thing I am seeing from that map is that the normal RED CENTRE is virtually fire free.. as this is where the nation's hottest temps are recorded.Thus the name. These wildfires have been created by strong winds spreading these extreme temps further east, south and west.

Bess Barber likes this.
  13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps due to regular intense heat, that particular area has less trees or underbrush on it to actually burn or maybe more sandy soil. Between all that and the New Zealand earthquakes.....you guys sure have been catching it rough lately.

Craig Wilson likes this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I see you've had some rain - hope it pours for a good while and spreads where its needed

Craig Wilson likes this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I just read this on Newsweek and I quote...

Deadly bushfire in Australia is sparking another extreme weather event—so-called firestorms are forming with the potential to exacerbate the disaster further.

A firestorm is when a fire reaches a level of such intensity that it creates its own weather system. At their most extreme, they can form firenadoes—a fire-tornado hybrid. The firestorms in Australia feature pyrocumulonimbus clouds, or pyroCBs, described by NASA as the "fire-breathing dragon of clouds." PyroCbs are large, anvil-shaped clouds of smoke that form from smoke released by volcanoes and wildfires.

"Everything that goes into these phenomena are at their worst when these fires are occurring," David Fromm, an expert on pyroCbs at the U.S. Naval Research Lab, told the National Geographic.

Firestorms develop when a wildfire is especially large and intense. The less dense hot air from the fire rises quickly, channeling a chimney effect (or updraft) that draws colder, denser outside air into the vacuum it creates.

As more and more of the air heats up and is pulled upwards, driven by strong inward-facing winds around the fire, some of that hot air starts to cool and condense, forming pyroclouds—a cocktail of water vapor, smoke and ash.

The strength and severity of these clouds can vary. A pyrocumulus is pyroCbs' less destructive sibling and is less likely to cause much damage. PyroCbs, on the other hand, can be far more intense. They resemble thunderstorms and are also called "fire clouds."

PyroCbscan cause a number of problems. For one, they can send smoke and other pollutants high into the atmosphere—spreading harmful substances across large distances. They can also provoke ember attacks by carrying embers and burning objects across long ranges and dry lightning, which can then trigger new fires.

The present fire season has been relentless since it started in November and it has not yet reached February, which typically sees the most deadly fires, as evidenced in 1967, 1983 and 2009.

While bushfires are a regular and natural part of the ecosystem, last year saw an especially hot, dry summer. This dried out the forest vegetation, turning Australia into a tinderbox, and preceded what has been described as an "exceptionally bad season" that is "on a scale not seen before."

However, climate change model projections suggest extreme wildfire seasons could become more common as the number of days conducive to wildfires are predicted to increase worldwide, with a particularly dramatic spike in Australia and the Mediterranean.

"Unfortunately, the fires are continuing with damage progressing, and we are only in January," Ilan Kelman, a professor of disasters and health at Britain's University College London, previously told Newsweek.

The present fire season has been relentless since it started in November and it has not yet reached February, which typically sees the most deadly fires, as evidenced in 1967, 1983 and 2009.

While bushfires are a regular and natural part of the ecosystem, last year saw an especially hot, dry summer. This dried out the forest vegetation, turning Australia into a tinderbox, and preceded what has been described as an "exceptionally bad season" that is "on a scale not seen before."

However, climate change model projections suggest extreme wildfire seasons could become more common as the number of days conducive to wildfires are predicted to increase worldwide, with a particularly dramatic spike in Australia and the Mediterranean.

"Unfortunately, the fires are continuing with damage progressing, and we are only in January," Ilan Kelman, a professor of disasters and health at Britain's University College London, previously told Newsweek.

Craig Wilson likes this.