My Never Ending Search For Employment

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Sandy Wood, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

I never thought that health concerns would totally keep me from outside of the home employer based work, I believed there would always be something I could do to help pay my bills. But as I search it is becoming more noticeable that my health issues are not as big as a problem as my lack of a collage education.
    Yes, I worked many jobs out of high school like farm work and waitressing, short order cook then dinner cook, and lastly banquet chef. On to working on a wildlife compound and a vegetable packing house, then creating my own housecleaning businesses that I did for 14 years, although the last four were hard due to my fibromyalgia that closed me up, lock stock and barrel, due to severe weakness and pain I had faith I could always find work. Even while caring for my mother the faith was strong.
    But now I would love a job that does not require me to stand on my feet all day or to deal with cash or lots of people. Just a boring data entry that I could do day in and out and get the job done. But I am finding out these jobs are being fazed out and computers do all that work with one operator that pushes a few buttons now and then or the job has been added into another more complex job and the position does not exist anymore.
    This sounds like a rant, and I guess in some ways it is because I live up in the backwoods of Pa., and these jobs are not here and the ones online seem beyond reach as well. My writing helps pay little bills, but big ones like taxes on the house and car insurance, doctor bills and unexpected bills can be a real hardship.
    Out of the thousands of jobs listed on the many job search sites only a few do not require some sort of degree or past experience, but they are local to someplace far very far away.
    So what are your thoughts? I am searching my brain and asking all of you what's a 63 year old woman to do? Or better yet what would you do in my shoes? If they fit. lol

Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I wish I knew, I have a college degree and am in roughly the same circumstance. In my case, having a kind of checkered work history does not help me. I also am in the boonies, which is the biggest issue when it comes to employment, but probably an even bigger issue is not knowing really what I want to do, or the direction I want to go. Well, I think I do know...but getting employment in a different sector than you have worked in your entire life is not especially easy, and not as a 55+/. I would recommend you try LIfe Reimagined at AARP and see what you come up with. Also, temp agencies, and online sites like Upwork, I am told can be helpful.

Jeff Elohim, Joe Riley and Von Jones like this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

There is a paradigm shift in the business industry and unlike before where computers are just an aid, the digital era has arrived that changed the landscape of employment. But as a consolation, at least in America, you have a chance of getting a decent job although you have your own requirements because of your health issues. Over here, I cannot imagine myself getting another job when I retire at 60. The chance of getting a decent job at that age is practically nil.

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Some solutions are available for you. One is SSI, if you're disabled.
    * https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/ssi.html

If you'd like to go back to college and get a degree, there's Pell Grants to apply for, FAFSA. THERE ARE SOME specs to conform to if you apply and receive grants. I don't know if you can get grants for online colleges.

* https://fafsa.ed.gov/

Don't forget to pay your taxes yearly at least, so you can collect social security. I don't know if you can get social security and SSI together. The social security page has a phone number you can call to ask questions. Then there's benefits.gov t check for other benefits you may be qualified for. Always keep your business license, so you can open a business anytime like selling crafts at Christmas time or at special events, or other businesses you can do on the side to pay taxes so you can get your credits to get social security benefits. Questions, benefits amount, etc can be found at : https://www.ssa.gov/ . Good luck which ever way you choose. Ask about reverse mortgage so you can keep your home to see if it's right for you...ask a lot of questions so you can get lots of help. Good luck, and prayers are helpful too. You're welcome in advance and I wish you lots of good luck!

K E Gordon, Joe Riley and Von Jones like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, being out in the "boonies/backwoods" doesn't help at all when it comes to finding a job. We live in a suburban area of a medium size city and there is all kinds of businesses around us. That's why we haven't yet moved to an out-of-state area with a much smaller population. And, yes, having a college degree always helps when it comes to seeking a descent paying job. Having any kind of health problems doesn't help either.

Unlike myself, it seems like my wife has never had a problem getting a new job since I've known her. When my wife was 62, she got a job with a local bank, where she worked for 5 years. That job was discontinued and she was laid-off last year. One month after that, she was offered a new job with even higher salary than the banking job was paying her. Now, she does have a major degree (Bachelor's) along with two AA's. She got the Bachelor's when she was 48. And, on top of this education, which I really wish I had, she also has lots of Business, Accounting and Finance experience. Her resume looks like one for a CFO, Accounting Manager or Financial Analyst! And, she's 68 years old!

As for me, didn't even make it thru my first year of college. Have a high school diploma, but today that's not worth much. Have plenty of computer/data entry experience in Purchasing and Inventory Control, but without a Degree and/or a Certification, it's darn near impossible for me to get a job in that area. I spent years working in a warehouse, shipping, receiving and stockroom, but sure couldn't do that type of work today. And, knowing the age bracket that gets hired for those "just mentioned/last sentence" jobs, I'm way to old at 67.

Yes, there are things, including health, age, location, education that can darn near stop a person from getting a job. It's unfortunate, but also reality.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since you are 63, you should be able to draw either Social Security or SSI. Because of my heart failure, I could barely move, let alone work, plus I had no kind of medical insurance. I signed up for SS as soon as I was eligible. It is not a lot; and at 65 Medicare will start; but it would at least help you have enough money to get by with only a part-time job, or one that you can do from home.
    Amazon Turk also has some tasks that pay a few dollars if you are a typist and can do the transcribing. Otherwise, it is mostly just surveys, at least that is all that I have found on there that I am able to do.
    Walmart greeters are able to sit down, so that is also a possibility if you have one nearby, and they have openings.
    if you are anywhere close to larger cities (doesn't have to be really large ones) and are interessted in a home/hobby busiiness, you could consider raising and selling puppies as a hobby breeder. I did thiis for a number of years, and totally loved doing that. If you are interested, PM me and I can tell you more about doing that type of thing.
    My friend in Idaho, who helped me get started, just turned 80 this week, and she is still raising and selling maltese puppies, on a small scale, of course.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Sandy Wood likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

That is if she can get SS. Some people never paid into it, so they have none. Depending on her health stuation, she could try for SSI.

I have a Thread going about "lifestyle changes after retiring" and have one reply about help Seniors can get who have very low incomes, like only getting SS each month. She could check those suggestions out.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm one who doesn't get Soc Sec because I never paid into it but I do get widows benefits.

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  9. Rose Castle

Rose Castle Veteran Member
    Registered

How so very true Sandy Wood. The world is changing and as it changes we face challenges to overcome what we are used to and what we use with in order to cope. What to do? We can continue to hope that lady luck showers us even just a bit of her powers, be patient, diligent in searching and submitting applications and resumes, asking around. Sooner or later, we will have to come across someone or something that will offer us the job we know we can do well and able to give the best of us. It'll be long, winding, tedious but as the saying goes, when you are down (like me) there is no where to go but up!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Roscas, Welcome to Seniorsonly Club.

11. Rose Castle

Rose Castle Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you Von Jones.

12. Jazzey Smith

Jazzey Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in New York and cannot afford to retire even at the age of 65. SSI won't even pay my rent. I have a Bachelors degree and still don't make a lot of money. I have resorted to trying to find work online. Hopefully by the time I do retire, I will have found some regular work to supplement my SSI as I will have no other income. No pension.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think New York might not be the best choice for retirement, but I'd think it might not be a bad place to find work. I wish you luck with it.

Jazzey Smith likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I have always adhered to the philosophy that "retirement" meant NOT having to work for a living, getting by on the pittance that the powers- that- be decided were going to be carefully siphoned back to you, after grasping them from your each and every paycheck throughout your working life. Thus, retirement meant not having to conform to the lifelong dictum and concern of seeking a job, finding one, fitting in, looking for better, secure feeling while employed, lay-offs, firings, Trade Union intervention demanding strikes, sick leave limitations, as well as in-house Management Employee throat-cutting as well as interdiction among hourly folks just trying to do their jobs.

In simpler terms, Trade Unions, as well as general Labor Unions, have in the past sought to become the true "Management" of companies. Some achieved it. My own experience with Dana Corp., which included a Union strike and plant lockout, ended when the Union President accepted an envelope from the Plant Manager, after which the next morning he appeared before a meeting of the Union Stewards telling them, "We've gotten all they will give. back to work".

The bastard. I sat across from him during a request made, by me, to add an hourly job position. He flatly stated, "They won't allow it". ALLOW it? Who the f77k runs the company? Home office told me go ahead and create the new hourly job. I did. I quit before further escalation with the Union might have driven me to murderous intent. Frank

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Sheldon Scott likes this.
  15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered