My New Flute

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Bill Boggs, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I am the owner of a brand new wooden flute. It is in the style of the Native American flute, key of C, Made of Australian Cypress with walnut end cap and mouthpiece. It is a pretty thing. This Journal of Life flute was made here in Norman, Oklahoma by a master wood craftsman who has over fifty years in the wood working business and who has been making flutes for almost ten years. I had the pleasure of going out to his shop, viewing and sniffing the aroma of the various woods and looking over his various flutes. And I picked one out. Now all I have to do is learn to play it. Nevertheless, when I pick it up and finger it, we look good together. I'm sure I'll learn to play it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

So cool, Bill. As coincidence would have it, I was just thinking about my silver flute today that's been in my closet for years and wondering if I could still play it. The way you said "viewing and sniffing the aroma of various woods" before choosing one is so poetic.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Wonderful post Bill and if I lived there, I know I would visit today and buy meself a flute
    I love the sound so much
    I hope you do learn to play it :)
    Let us know how you get on, if it is 'easier' to play than you thought
    I bought a harmonica years back, thinking this 'must' be so easy to play, no - it wasn't ...........:rolleyes:

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

That's good news, Bill! When you can, please post a picture of your flute.;):)
    [​IMG]

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh @Bill Boggs, I'm green with jealousy. All I can play is an auto harp, and I stop in my 20's because I let other's opinions discourage me. So I pick up an acoustical guitar and only learned enough to teach my youngest to play.

Play on good man, play on. :)

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So now, I can be "green with jealousy", @Ina I. Wonder .I have wanted an autoharp for years and years, ever since I first heard someone playing one and thought it sounded like music that only angels could be capable of doing.
    This was what actually led me to finding the Suzuki Omnichord, and I loved that, too. After it broke, I sent it to a guy who said he thought he could fix it; but then he disappeared, along with my Omnichord.
    Since they aren't electronic, an autoharp would probably last forever as long as you take good care of it. June Carter Cash played an autoharp, and she was very skilled with it.
    It sounds like you need to look for a flute for yourself, Ina ! !

7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yvonne Smith and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  8. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Yvonne Smith if I had the wind, I think I would love to play a pan flute. I can listen to one for hours. It's sound is so soothing. This was Michael's and I my melody. I had over 10 versions played during the service for him.

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

So beautiful the sound :)

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am pretty sure that @Bill Boggs has stated that he first got the harmonica to help him increase his lungs because of emphysema. He also said it worked. Probably if you get the pan flute, and then start playing it , then your wind power would also increase.
    When I first decided to help build up my lost muscle tone by swimming, I couldn't even swim the length of the pool without stopping and holding onto the bar at the side of the pool several times going down, and even more times coming back. It was slow going at first; but over time, my muscle tone has improved to where I don't even think about swimming for an hour now.
    I believe that playing an instrument like the flute would not only help your wind power; but it would calm your heart.......so GO FOR IT, Girl ! !

11. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I think I'm going to look online to see if their cost is something I can afford, and I'll need to see what is out there as far as self teaching aids go. Plus, I need to learn how to tell the quality of the instrument. Thanks for the idea and encouragement. :)

I wonder if my local college has any music classes for seniors. But most things like that are night courses, so maybe I should stick to self teaching. I've learned many things that way, but generally I fall flat on my face before I get very far. Oh well, I've had my nose bent before. :p :D

Lara Moss and Joe Riley like this.
  12. Bill Boggs

Registered

Do I know how to put pictures on here? Don't think so; first effort failed. "Come a day, come a day, help me somebody" (Jasper White, Korea, 1952. *See Jasper on Tall Tales). One is never so smart that he can't fail on such small things.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  13. Bill Boggs

Registered

I tried to post a picture of my flute and I was going to show you my newest harmonica. Harmonica with stainless steel reeds and solo Orchestra tuned in the key of Low C. I bought it to play hymns since it is solo tuned, two octive. Has a red comb. Cute little harp.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Registered

Actually, Patsy, I wanted a really good Penny whistle. They make them in Carbon now but they are a bit on the expensive side. If I learn to play this flute I'm going to get a penny whistle if I'm still alive and got pretty good breath.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  15. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Hi @Bill Boggs , what is a Penny Whistle? I've never heard of one before.

What kind of computer do you have? Knowing that would help those that know how to maneuver around in the this new cyber world help you do the picture thingy. Is that the correct terminology?

I'm not that person, I'm known for being a tech zombie. But like you I'm trying. :)