My New Shotgun

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Today, I had a local dealer go ahead and OK purchase, on my behalf, of a shotgun most extraordinary historically; High Standard Model 10B Police Shotgun.

• [​IMG]
    It was designed by a police sergeant in Santa Monica, CA. It was very short and compact, yet met the requirements for minimum lengths of both barrel (18") and overall length (26") as dictated bythe 1934 National Firearms Act. Those requirements did not need to be met for exclusive police use, but the then well-known Hamden, CT gun-maker may have expected also a civilian market. They were produced 1967-1977.

As a young man, I frequently saw them in patrol cars, propped up vertically against the dashboard. Turned out, the appearance appalled the non-criminal public, which saw the military-looking weapon as something of an excessive threat to their safety. Consequently, most departments sold them into the private sector.

Today, they are rare; a brand new one might fetch $2000+, easily. In the past, I owned 2, but the rising prices thanks to Bill Clinton's "Crime Bill" urged me to sell them; I did, but have always yearned to own another. Mine is coming from a dealer in South Carolina. This particular arm I will set aside for my nephew Danny, in the Marine Corps, presently deployed to Japan. Understandably, he loves and collects firearms......
    Frank

Chrissy Cross and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember we had one in our shop taken In trade for awhile

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Tex Dennis

Registered

The last shotgun I bought was an FN SLP 12 I shoot in 3 gun matches, I also still have dad's Parker sn# in the 20's 2 digit and my uncles Win mod 12 trap tournament grade made in 1921 and a safe full of others

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Tex Dennis
    Bob, a friend of my wife's family was avid about skeet. He said at one time he shot several hundred rounds a week. He could also handle a hangun, in that case mine, one he had never had in his hands before. S&W Model 6906, double/single action, he studied it a few minutes, took a Weaver stance, and fired it as though he grew up with it! OTOH, my wife's dad, a WW-II vet, out with us two that time, took a backward position, always refrained from "gun-talk", believed firearms belonged outside private hands. That was one of the alienation points between my wife's folks and me. At first I was thought (privately between them) to be a crazy "gun-nut". Over the years, though, I kinda won-out with them, after they learned more about me.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Tex Dennis

Registered

Frank I have been a competitive shooter since very young and shot on the Army pistol team a few years I still shoot pistol matches and love it I just don't have the reflexes and sight I used to

6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Tex Dennis
    Understand exactly, and face similar constraint. Biggest problem is my hands and deteriorating body-strength. Yesterday, I picked up a real nice used S&W 4516, .45 ACP, stainless steel, and did not want to reveal to the seller, my difficulty in racking the slide back, or depressing the slide release.

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

I dislike bobbed hammers, and will be installing a spur hammer after figuring out which model's hammer will work. My 669 9mm bobbed I replaced with a hammer for 659, the full-sized version of the compact, used that pistol for many years. In fact, it took this copperhead which slithered out of cover a few feet from us in MO:

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Nice purchase and cool shotgun. I used to shoot sporting clays and and Action shotgun matches so I owned a lot of them until I moved here. Only shotgun I own now is the Mossberg Shockwave 12 ga.

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Vinny Waccio
    Curious regarding the connection between moving and owning a lot of them. Restrictions?
    Frank

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I found this picture online of this old style shotgun, and thought it was amazing. Have you ever seen anything like this one, @Frank Sanoica ?
    You seem to be our weapons expert, so I figured that if anyone knows about this shotgun, it would be you......

FAC70030-70F6-4769-B3DB-26D6FA152DA8.jpeg

10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Punt gun. used by commercial hunters. For some reason it is in my mind that they were a Chesapeake Bay and Tidewater thing.

Yvonne Smith likes this.