My Next Diy Project

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Von Jones, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Was that find a part of the WOOHOO “it’s opening day at the flea market”?
    It is indeed a nice find and it has some years on it. The back isn’t stapled or have tack gun marks so that takes it back to before the 70’s maybe.

If you’re not going to give it a fresh coat of stain, perhaps some “Old English” might add to the cleaning up process?

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

love it, Von. It will clean up pretty. Interesting legs. Is it a dresser or a desk?

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Awesome @Von Jones That looks like a shellac finish and should you want to save that finish but give it a light clean look, just get some denatured alcohol or a bottle of EverClear and fill an old cotton well-washed sock with other old cotton socks making you a refinisher pad and soak it in alcohol and just start rubbing and it squeezing out occasionally and with a bit of handwork, you will have a CLEAN new look with minimal work and expense. Get an old wide-mouth jar to put your alcohol in for continual soaking and cleaning your rag. Should you want to stop just put the rubber pad in the jar and lid it. No way you can mess up as it can always be smoothed with more alcohol and the rubber pad. You can also squeeze the pad back in the jar for a darker finish, but I do this only after a pass over to clean all the dirt off and squeeze that out to be discarded. This is a nontoxic way and can be done indoors. I finish all my projects using shellac.

If you want to really clean it and remove a lot of finish, then 0000 steel wool is used instead of the pad. This leaves a beautiful look but is also more work and mess.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Von Jones likes this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No it was at curbside. 100% wood. Couldn't find a maker on the back or anywhere else. I do have some Old English too.

Bobby Cole and Faye Fox like this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, her legs are gorgeous, aren't they. It is a desk and aside from the bo weevil's leftover cotton balls, for her age she's in excellent condition.

Faye Fox likes this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

You know, my son asked me if I was going to paint it. I said no, just going to clean her up and add wheels. That's what got my attention. If I change anything it would take away the thrill of the find, you know what mean?

Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The entire desk is gorgeous and well made. You are lucky to find it in this good repair with the original finish. I would place it about 1930s maybe earlier. The mistake many make is thinking it is solid wood. It may be but also can be a heavy veneer from that era. I would never sand a fine piece like this or use a varnish stripper. I would do as you say and leave it natural using just a dry cloth to clean it or the "french polishing method" which dissolves the old shellac but also leaves it to become a fresh old-looking finish. I would never varnish, oil, or wax it.

I love doing french polishing on old fine furniture, radios, and musical instruments. Shellac is just exotic moth vomit that hardens to a nice natural look. Using alcohol denatured or my choice EverClear, it can be touched up forever.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One thing about EverClear is that if a project ever becomes too daunting, then one can down a couple of shots of it and a person will see brand new horizons. May not be able to walk straight but suddenly grow super abilities? Heck yeah, I can do anything!