My Niece In New Jersey Who's Just Finished Her Second Year Of College

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Chrissy Cross, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

just got back from a two week Biology class in the Galápagos Islands. They also went to the rain forest and Peru I think.

The trip cost $8,000 and only got one credit for it but worth it if you're young and adventurous. I'm waiting for her pics but just saw some pics on Facebook posted by another student in her class.

I think these are turtles...

She had a blast!

IMG_0987.JPG

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Look like small crabs.

$8k for one credit! For those that can afford it, more power to them. Did you, @Chrissy Cross, ever go on a Field Trip when you were in high school? My step-parents could barely afford it, but I was able to go on a bus day trip to Shedd's Aquarium and the History Museum in Chicago when I was a Junior or Senior in high school. Wonderful trip and very interesting.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I went on field trips when we had them. I went to Europe with my family when I graduated high school. My whole family...6 of us went for 6 weeks in 1969. I only remember Day field trips though when I was in school.

They have more field trips nowadays even for the younger kids than when I was in school. This niece also played cello in orchestra in high school so she got to travel a lot with that. Played in Paris once, they also played on the beach in Normandy one year...a few others I can't remember. The students have to pay for their airfare and lodging.

She's going to be a dr, just like her dad...she has a ways to go but she's doing well in her studies and is on track.

Next year my 13 yr old grandson that lives in Monterey is going to Washington DC on a field trip.

Also want to add it's not like we were rolling in dough...with 4 kids we ate frugally on the trip, especially in Paris where it was very expensive...I remember eating French friends rolled in a newspaper cone on the street ...also ham sandwiches.

We ordered a coke near the Arc de Triomphe at an outdoor cafe and it was $6 for one...my dad had a fit and said that's the last cokes we're having.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I've been to those places but as an adult living in Chicago....yes, very nice.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

IMG_0996.JPG IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0992.JPG Finally saw some turtle pics and they went to Ecuador not Peru...

6. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

WOW! talk about giant turtles, those guys are humungous.

It is a lot of money for the trips but then again it is the experience of a lifetime. Nice to be able to share the experience through these pics.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There's a neat video a classmate of hers posted on FB but I don't know how to get that on here...but yep, they had fun and it was an experience of a lifetime...so I'm glad she got to do it.

Yes, it's expensive but she deserves it...she's been a very good student and daughter and niece in her 21 years.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

IMG_1006.JPG IMG_1005.JPG Here are some more pics...lots of birds on the Galápagos Islands...

IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1004.JPG

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I got these off their Facebook pages and there's a lot of videos and 360 panoramic pics but I don't know how to post that on here from FB.

Although this isn't a trip I'd take now, I wish I would have done it at least in my 50's before my back problems too.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Here's some more but there are so many pics I can't post them all here. They were on the boat that's in one pic and thee were about 18 students all together.

IMG_1024.JPG

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered