My Phone Got Hacked

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Bess Barber, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm not sure if hacked is the right word for it.....but this is what happened:

I got an email from Hulu advising me of an email change to my account. I didn't click the email, but I did call the number for customer service which included the word HULU in it. When I dialed it, my phone had a quick buzz, much like it does when you are powering it off. The number went to a recorded message saying it was disconnected. I then knew it wasn't HULU customer service at all.

I found their real number online. I called and they were great about helping me. They asked a few questions regarding the date, time and other info on the email I received. Then, my phone battery started draining like crazy. I knew I had a problem. I downloaded the free version of AVAST from the Play Store. I ran it once, it found the file and then it was gone. I changed my online banking log in just incase, but haven't had any other problems.

I felt silly that I never thought to make sure my phone was protected. I'm just sharing so it may help someone else down the line. I'm sure there are a number of good protection apps, but I've been happy with AVAST.

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome to the club, Bess. :D I think you did a great job reacting like you did. I don't run a virus scanner on my smartphone either but do so on my laptop using Avast as well. So far I haven't had any problems with my phone. I don't use the phone for banking, though, just as one factor of a multi-factor authentication process when banking on my computer.
    Maybe I should have second thoughts about using a scanner on the phone as well? The reason for being so reluctant is the contradictory information you receive from people who should know.
    Anyhow, I guess I'd be more careful if I really wanted to do banking on the phone. But I don't trust smartphones and the whole bunch of people behind them anyway. I hate playstore, apps, and all the hassle going along with it, i.e., registering and providing data of all sorts. What's more, I have a Huawei/ Chinese smartphone and don't trust them at all. Not sure if they will really manage to provide their own updates after all the fuss on an international scale. I just hope I can keep on trucking as I have been doing.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

My AT&T provider warns me if a scammer or telemarketer is calling. However, I don't care who a claimant maybe, if I know I am not a customer, I simply delete the call. Also with email on my pc since I am aware of exactly who I deal with.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bess Barber -- Is your phone an iPhone or Android? Just curious. I never use my phone for any secure transactions... no banking or shopping, etc. Thanks for the heads up.

Bess Barber and Lois Winters like this.
  5. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Your hacking problem reminded me to change my email password on my computer. It's recommended that it is done periodically. As part of the password I included today's date so after a month or so goes by I'll do it again.

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Android. I don't use it for shopping, but I do use it for online banking. Even if I didn't use the phone in that capacity, it is still in sync with my online Google account. So, anyone with access to my phone, would also have access to my laptop activity.