My Turmeric

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

New thread safter going back to June, nothing previous fit. I have been using about a teaspoonful in almost every one of my meals, everything has been yellow, for about 6 months. Sprinkled out of a typical spice bottle maybe containing 2 ounces. Bought it long ago, we have looked at all our usual stores, including 99-Cents, only one had it, at about $15! Certain health food stores surely have it, but shy away from them.

Got a flyer in the mail from Vita-Cost showing a bag of Turmeric among many other things, special discount offer 15% off, so I looked. Wow, dozens of different offerings of Turmeric! Ordered a ONE POUND bag for $7.89, $1.18 discount, free shipping, $6.71 total. It came this morning. 3 day delivery time!

[​IMG]

No evidence it's helping my joint pain any, but hey, it ain't making it worse, either! I ought to have enough now to last at least the rest of my life!

Frank

2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Has this been proven as a tried and true remedy? Some supplements seem to have a lot of advantages for people.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica , it's sooo much easier to take turmeric in a capsule. Poke it in, take a swallow of water, Gulp! and it's gone. Also, you may not be getting enough by consuming one teaspoonful at a time. It works for me.

4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bess Barber
    Not sure, but I doubt it. FDA only "pushes" stuff which enhances the coffers of all, including govt., but not the buyers'. Frank

Bess Barber likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    But surely a capsule is far less than a teaspoon, unless the stuff be "enhanced" some way, which is possible, as the ground root contains Curcumin, the main anti-oxidant of interest, but also lots of other materials. There are other phenols in the ground up root which are said to be beneficial, thus I tend to lean toward the natural thing. Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I take two capsules a day. All I know is that I had severe knee pain before I started taking it. Now I have no pain anywhere. I've been taking it for 3 -4 years and I'll take is as long as I live if possible.

Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin
    One cannot argue with positive results! Perhaps I haven't been taking it long enough. Suspect all the talk about anti-oxidants and such implies instant results. Doesn't work that way, no doubt! Keep taking it!
    Frank

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica ...hubbys hand doctor has him take 900 mg daily in pill form. It has helped him. I do cook with it but not a lot.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't know what they were talking about in the commercials for months, because they pronounced it "too-MARE-ic." Finally saw it spelled out.

We always called it TUR-mer-ic.

Isn't that what you use to make pickles crisp and crunchy? :confused:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Yvonne Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I have similar to that sachet...turmeric golden paste...

My daughter had her fingers torn off, and sewn back on a few years ago..and although the surgeons did a wonderful job, she suffers from severe pain in them, well she would if she didn't take the Turmeric golden paste in the liquid form.

the capsules didn't work, but she takes a teaspoonful after every meal, and she's able to work (a physical job)..with very little pain.

I take it for the OA in my hands and fingers... ..but I also intersperse it at times with capsules..

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Frank Sanoica and Emma Smith like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We use Turmeric 500mg soft capsule. Actually, my wife uses it more than I do. Seems that my VA prescription of 800 mg ibuprofen does better than Turmeric. Turmeric can give me diarrhea as well. We also use CBD Salve.

Before moving from Florida, my VA doctor there told me to check with a new VA doctor here about a shot (Cortisone?) for the arthritis in my left shoulder. Did try the shot in 2005, in my right hip, to prevent hip replacement surgery, but the shot didn't work. Ended up having the replacement surgery.

12. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't like the taste of turmeric, but I have this drink with turmeric nearly every day that's very good. Look forward to it.
    Home Remedies, Post #55.

According to Livestrong, the active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin, and it is about 2 to 9 percent of turmeric. The amount of curcumin in turmeric and, by consequence, in curry powder is variable. To achieve therapeutic benefits, you will likely need to take a supplement that standardizes curcumin. Find labels that read 95 percent curcumin, but keep in mind that these claims are not controlled by the FDA.

The supplement I buy has half the amount of curcumin, but the product is USP verified, the only supplement brand I buy.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I started making a pineapple/ginger anti-inflammatory drink/smoothie, and now I also added some turmeric into that. With the chunk of fresh ginger blended in, it drowns out the taste of everything else, but it has really been helping my back .
    I read about turmeric coffee, tried some......it was HORRIBLE..... maybe just needed to make it differently; but I do like it in a kind of chai tea latte.
    Tonight, I am having one with cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, and cardamom and sweetened tea and fresh almond milk, and it is delicious, and should give me some extra turmeric.
    We just ordered more from Amazon, because I will probably want to keep taking turmeric for the rest of the cold weather winter.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was talking to a guy not too long ago who has rheumatoid arthritis. He started taking turmeric capsules and went off the prescription that wasn't all that effective.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I put turmeric on everything I eat, just about. My dad was "diagnosed" with prostate cancer. I told him to start taking turmeric. He took the capsules. Six months later, his urologist was scratching his head, and told him he couldn't find the tumor. It had disappeared. He told him to keep doing whatever he been doing in the last six months.