My Us Marine

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Frank Sanoica, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Think I mentioned awhile back, my Great-nephew, Danny, stationed in NC, will be at a school in MO for the summer, then off to Japan for 3 years. I knew he and his wife had arranged to clear out of their home in Jacksonville, NC several weeks ago. He had been training at Camp Lejeune since Feb., has a high security clearance, and reveals little, which we understand to be necessary. He had told me he planned to stop in St. Louis, his wife's hometown, and buy an old Ford Galaxie from her father.

Yesterday afternoon he called seeking my advice. He was enroute, alone, driving the '65 Galaxie from St. L. to Fort Leonard Wood, about 150 miles, was in Sullivan, about 1/4 there, and having engine overheating problems. He's very mechanically-inclined, and I later kicked myself for not thinking of the obvious cause: no water was seen leaking out, yet 10- miles after refilling the engine, it was low again. We both thought "thermostat", which he replaced in a K-Mart parking lot. No dice, next call revealed. It dawned on me that he likely had a failed head gasket, allowing hot combustion gas under high pressure to enter the cooling system, over-pressure it, and force hot water vapor, not liquid, out past the radiator cap. Eventually he called last evening, having safely made it to the Base. A friend, also a Marine, has a house with repair garage nearby, and they will over the summer, rebuild the old engine. He already had driven his newer pickup to the base. His wife will be remaining with her folks for the time being.

In late Sept. they will leave for our place, where their old Ford and pickup will remain during their time in Japan, about 3 years. He was born and raised in Kansas, his Dad, my nephew, still lives there, so why did Danny forsake KS? Because that state withholds Income Tax from our Servicemen! Can you imagine?
    Frank

Chrissy Cross and Tim Burr like this.