National Alert System

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have been reading that some places are having trouble with internet working properly. Ours has been kind of erratic for the last month, but works most of the time.
    Apparently, at least one of the problems is that since more people are at home, they are using the internet more, and streaming a lot of Netflix type of movies, which is putting a strain on the internet provider.

Also, we are having more of those DDoS attacks from other countries, and our president has just increased the alert for that (which expires tomorrow) for another year.

Should we lose all internet for some reason, the Department of Homeland Security will be able to send messages that we can see on our cell phones, and I think they can be received with a television, or at least some televisions.

Just in case something like this does happen, you can use the Hotspot on your cellphone to connect with the internet, or to receive the government alerts.
    To be sure you are getting the alerts, go to settings on your phone, then notifications, and then scroll down to Government alerts. Mine shows 3 options, amber alerts, emergency alerts, and public safety alerts.
    All three should be turned on.
    We live in an area where there can be tornadoes, so we always have the alerts turned on; but with all of this emergency situation going on, everyone should be sure that their alerts for this are turned on, just in case something more serious develops.

The speculation from some of the facebook groups, is that we could lose internet for up to 10 days, and would have to depend on the government alerts for our news updates as to what is happening.
    Hopefully, we do not lose our internet connection; but I thought it might be prudent to at least mention the possibility so we can all be sure that our phone alert system is turned on.