Natures Free Wildflowers

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sandy Wood, May 18, 2016.

1. Sandy Wood

Sandy Wood Veteran Member
    Registered

blue flowers.jpg Every Spring, my yard is filled with wild flowers, mostly tiny blue Forget-me-Nots. I am sure they have a proper name that is unknown to me, but one thing I know for sure they are beautiful. My front yard was filled with them until today when the weed-eater mowed them off, but my backyard is loaded with these dainty little flowers. I am kind of glad the lawn mower is non-working so I can enjoy them longer.
    Here is a picture of these flowers for everyone to enjoy.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

They are absolutely gorgeous! When as a child long...long ago we went hiking and we came across orchids that grew in the wild. In 2006 I was on the Big Island the southern most island where I gazed a white anthurium growing in the park we drove by. It might look like this :
    [​IMG] this image is from: https://lovingthebigisland.wordpres...illage-kau-hawaii-photo-by-donald-b-macgowan/.

The outer islands has more parks to enjoy the wild plants than here on Oahu where everything is mostly govt. or privately owned.

Sandy Wood and Diane Lane like this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've always loved wildflowers. @Sandy Wood I'm leaving the back part of the backyard to the wildflowers, and am not going to bother mowing back there. I love looking down from my balcony and seeing the flowers spread across the lawn. There are many varieties of wildflowers along the nature trails here as well, and I enjoy seeing them. I can't recall the names of them right now, although there are buttercups, wild raspberries and wild onion (or garlic) plants.

@Krissttina Isobe Those are beautiful. I enjoy watching shows about Hawaii, the plants and trees are so pretty and make it look very relaxing.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Every Spring the ditches on the road outside of our subdivision are covered with the prettiest bright yellow wildflowers and everytime I see them they make me smile. :) I always feel sad when those flowers are mowed down by the Highway Department.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That has been an irritation to me, that throughout the country, it seems, county and state highway departments are removing everything that is natural about the landscape along the roadways. The road that I grew up on had trees that, in some places, produced a canopy over the road. Along other parts of the road were milkweed, sumac, crabapples, and strawberries. When they were in season, I could eat my fill of wild strawberries just picking them from along the road. Then they not only cut the trees along the rural road, but exercised their right-of-way to cut trees that were behind fences, in people's orchards. They cut one of our apple trees down, seemingly just because they could, since they weren't widening the road or anything.

One of the things that I admired most about Maine, when I moved here in 2000 and 2001, was that you could drive along the interstate and it had the appearance of driving into a thick forest. Driving north, cars coming toward you in the southbound lane weren't even visible because of the trees along the median strip. The same was true of houses, fields and other buildings, as trees hid all of these things from the driver. Then they started cutting the trees and mowing an increasingly larger area on all sides of the road, and now there are few areas where oncoming traffic cannot be seen, and anywhere that there are homes, businesses, or roads anywhere near the interstate, they are now visible. Even the rural roads are being cut back and mowed frequently so that nothing worth having is ever allowed to grow there.

Sandy Wood likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the things I really liked about driving on the Texas Interstates was that I would often see the grassy areas on eitner side of the interstates covered in Blue Bonnets and Indian Paint Brushes. Since I ride tbe train now I don't know if the flowers are still covering those grassy areas...but in my mind I can still see the beauty tbey created as we drove to our destination.