Nebraska Hotting Up

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Hedi Mitchell, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2020
    Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I had no idea Nebraska even got that hot....ever. Probably lots of homes that far north don't even have air conditioning.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

And then, in Indiana...

An Indiana mother has been arrested after she allegedly left her toddler in a hot car while she attended a Department of Child Services interview with her newborn.

Jennifer K. Ost, 27, was arrested and charged with neglect of a dependent, a level 6 felony.

According to Fox 59, Ost was scheduled for an appointment with DCS on Tuesday afternoon. According to the police report first obtained by the news channel, Ost had given birth to a son four days earlier. After she signed him out of the hospital against medical advice, she agreed to allow a DCS pediatrician to examine the newborn.

When she arrived at the appointment, police say that she left her older child, a toddler, inside the hot car.

Is it time for the Darwin Awards nominees already??

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Saturday is going to be bad.

Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot.png

5. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Ken Anderson ...Bad...you call that bad weather Ken.... maybe for your area. :)

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

We're forecast to be around the 90 mark here after the weekend... no AC in 99 % of the houses here... . My ceiling fans, and 2 standalone fans are doing a fair job but not enough, so I've ordered another oscillating tower fan with a timer and remote control, should be arriving tomorrow.. (Saturday)

Bess Barber likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This morning, the Weather Channel, showing Heat Indexes for the entire country, highlighted Chicago, 117 degrees! Along the East Coast, 115 degrees. Rarely is the heat index much higher than 5 degrees above the actual temperature, so, 110 in Chicago? Impossible!

Growing up there, and as an adult, I recall one particularly sweltering 4th. of July when it hit 101 degrees. We spent most of the day in the basement, coolest part of the house, no A/C. I emailed my friend Charlie in Chicago this morning; he had mentioned this summer is the first one during which both he and Sandy are feeling overcome by the heat.

Curiously, here in the Desert, the Heat Index often goes the other way, due to the lack of humidity: for example, temperature 100 degrees, heat index 92.

Frank

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I've noticed that even here in the tropics of Georgia. Often when the temp goes above 100 it's not as unpleasant as mid 90's because the humidity is lower. I guess that would be a given, wouldn't it?

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My grandma and I tried every summer to fry an egg on the sidewalk. We could usually get the eggwhite to turn....well….white, but never got the yolk to cook hard. Then we had to clean up the mess. We never gave up hope, though.

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I would love your grandmother, Mary. She sounds so cool. :cool:

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Nancy Hart
    Yes. The Physics of it all is that the human body must maintain it's temperature no higher than 99 degrees. When the air surrounding the person is, say, 60 degrees, that's no problem, because "heat" always moves from the hotter to the cooler place; IOW, the body gets cooled so it's internal "burning" process causes no rise in temp. above 99.

The body cools itself by sweating, the sweat evaporating, which takes away heat. As the humidity level in the surrounding air increases, the evaporative cooling effect lessens, thus requiring more sweating than when the humidity is low. In the humid Midwest and South, the clothing gets soaked, the sweat failing to evaporate as fast as it's coming through the pores. This is the "sticky" feeling which is so uncomfortable.

When the surrounding temperature is much above 99, the body experiences two things heating it up: it's own physiological processes, AND the fact that heat is moving out of the air and into the body, a double whammy. Then, maintaining the body at proper temp. becomes more difficult. That's when trouble can start.

As you say, usually as temperatures go up, the humidity tends to be lower, but not always. Here in the Desert the sweat evaporates instantly as fast as it leaves the pores, since there is very little water in the air, the air is hot, and evaporative cooling of the body is more efficient than when relative humidity is high. Rarely is the clothing ever wet from sweating, even when it's 115 degrees. Humidity here is often near zero %, with an average of maybe 10 to 20%, except in summer!

"Dewpoint" is another gauge of all this meteorological BS. Dewpoint is a TEMPERATURE, having nothing directly to do with relative humidity, which is measured in %. The Dewpoint temperature is that temperature above which the air can contain no additional water vapor. In your neck of the woods, if you take a cold can of beverage out of the fridge at, say, 40 degrees and set it on the table, your room temperature being well above 40 degrees, soon a puddle of condensed water out of the air will collect as the can's surface "sweats" water out of the air. Here, our humidity is about 15% today, and my can of soda remains dry (outside, and soon, inside!).

Frank

12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

She was. She really was. She was up for any adventure, loved traveling and actually went on rollercoasters with me in her 60s (that's where I get my love for thrills). She and my daughter had a lot of fun, too.

Nancy Hart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Frank Sanoica the relative humidity is calculated from the dewpoint and ambient temperature so it is related. When i was in Arizona, I always found respite simply by staying in the shade. In south Georgia, the shade was almost as hot as the sunshine due to the high humidity.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Don Alaska
    I hadn't expected to get into the "Psychrometry" thing very extensively, but dewpoint is a concept not often understood by many, even though it is mentioned often by the weathermen (and women!). The method used commonly to determine the dewpoint is this:

"Devices called hygrometers are used to measure dew point over a wide range of temperatures. These devices consist of a polished metal mirror which is cooled as air is passed over it. The temperature at which dew forms is, by definition, the dew point."

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dew_point#Measurement

My earliest exposure to Psychrometry came in sophomore year high school physics, with a Sling Psychrometer.

Interesting statistics: "A dew point of 35 °C (95 °F) was observed at Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, at 15:00 AST on July 8, 2003, which caused the heat index to reach 81 °C (178 °F), the highest value recorded. The highest dew point observed in the United States was 33 °C (91 °F) at 14:00 EDT on July 12, 1987, in Melbourne, Florida.

Frank

Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Wow Frank, your just a walking library of info.,very good:p

Nancy Hart and Frank Sanoica like this.