Need Suggestions About How To Find Two Or Three Close Friends

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Kitty Dee, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Kitty Dee

Kitty Dee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm a single woman, 76, and would like suggestions on where I can find (locally!) two or three close friends. I'm in a committed relationship with a man, and he's hoping to find some best male friends for himself, too. I have joined a calligraphy class and really like the people in it. I've been in the class for a couple of months. It's a small and friendly bunch of women. And I love doing calligraphy. I just learned a new alphabet, which is the second one I know now. But I don't really know how to get to know the women outside of class. I invited the teacher to a theatre production, and we enjoyed it together, but that's all we've done. That was about 6 weeks ago. I'd like to go out for coffee or pastries with one at a time, but I don't drive. I can go via public transit or cab, though. So an important factor is to find out whether we can meet somewhere convenient for both of us. I'm also hoping to find a spiritual group. I plan to go to a church that appeals to me, in a couple of weeks. I'm busy this Sunday, can't go. In the past, my BEST FRIENDS were people I met at church, but I am not a "regular church" type of person. I've tried lots of churches and spiritual services, but none of them has met my needs or personal spirituality. I live in a city, so hope this new church will work out for me.

David Crosse likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Another place for meeting local friends that you might try, is your local seniors center, if they have one in your city. Do you live in a large city or in a smaller town ?
    Maybe , since you do not drive, you can invite some of your friends from the calligraphy class to come and visit you at your home ?
    Finding local friends seems to be an issue for many of us that are seniors, and I think that it is especially difficult for those who do not drive anymore. I think that is one of the reasons that so many seniors are turning to forums and facebook groups, where we visit with online friends from all over.
    Even though it is not the same as having someone local to do things together with, it is a great way to meet new people and share interests with each other.
    We have a section in this forum for hobbies, and that would be a good place to share a little bit more about your calligraphy hobby with us.

3. Kitty Dee

Registered

Dear Yvonne, thank you for your nice reply. Yes, there are senior centers in the city where I live. I go to a yoga class at one of them, and have been to other classes at another one. Unfortunately, I just have not found anyone at these classes who appeal to me for becoming friends outside of the classes. That's a good idea about inviting a calligraphy friend to my place! I will check and see if we are near a coffeehouse, and if not, I'll invite someone to come for a light lunch at my place. Great plan.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

You might like just attending a Women's Bible Study at a Church of your choice...or attending one of the Small Groups many Churches now have, or even one of the other programs Churches now offer. You can often what a Church near you offers by going to their online website.

Doing some volunteer work in an area that interest you may also help you meet a new friend. And sometimes a new friend could be living right next to you and you just haven't taken the time to notice.

It's sometimes harder to make new friends as we get older, but it's not impossible. And there is friendship here on this Forum too as we have a lot of good and friendly people here who are care and share.

5. Kitty Dee

Registered

Thank you, Babs. I am planning to join a small group at a local church. Good ideas. Thanks.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  6. David Crosse

David Crosse Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

what is a spiritual group? I have read that spirituality leads to a sense of peace and tranquility but I don't get it.