Neighborhood Dog Barking

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Bess Barber, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I still have the megaphone with a siren on it I used in my younger days. The siren is legal but it sure made enemies of disrespectful neighbors and other innocent neighbors it woke. I originally bought it because I don't have a loud voice and needed amplification, but I soon learned that the siren worked better than my voice to calm dogs after their owners got up. :D

Frank Sanoica and Von Jones like this.
  2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Here is an idea. buy pet cards depicting lonely puppies send them with no return address. Maybe they will get the message maybe not but at least you as well as others will be suspected but not identified. They can't retaliate against the neighbors/hood. Hopefully the cards will make them feel guilty more about leaving the pet unattended for long periods of time and do something about it.

Faye Fox likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

As for us, gay or straight, I will complain to apt. complex manager about a barking dog. There was an apartment right behind our bedroom window, in Florida, that had a barking dog that barked both day and night. I made a complaint out with the manager and she sent a notice to the occupants of the apartment. It still went on and my wife wasn't getting the sleep she needed, when she was working a full-time job, SO I complained again to management. After a few days of not hearing the barking, I went to the office and asked the manager what had happened. She told me "they let me know they got rid of the dog". "Good" I told her and she smiled.

When it comes to annoying barking or people talking on their front porch or patio at 2AM, and they wake me up...…….I take action! For loud talking, inconsiderate people, at 2AM, I have a very bright small (Police type) flashlight, that I will shine at them and (politely) ask them to lower their voices. That generally works and if it doesn't, I do the flashlight thing again.

My "nice guy" thing only goes so far!

Faye Fox likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Bess, I was gonna suggest the bark controller as Yvonne posted, I'm pleased to hear this works.
    Agree with Beth also, I would want to know if my dog was barking, I'm absolutely positive they will not take offense
    A play pen inside the house would be ideal if they are not gone too long, I'm on page 2 and forget how long :rolleyes: :p
    Anyhoo, I'm sure these guys would find a solution :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Time to get TOUGH!! Who cares how sensitive they are...…..you're not getting sleep! Nice neighbors or not, they have a barking dog that has an "alone" problem.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Get a Service Cat! Your doctor can write you a prescription to have a legal
    service cat. Losing sleep can be unhealthy and a cat can cure insomnia.
    New Image.jpg

Von Jones likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

No need to get 'tough' - the guys don't even know there's a problem :rolleyes:

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, then...….if the guys don't do anything, then it's time to get tough? There are those that will say "if you don't like the barking, move!" If they are THAT sensitive, like she states they are, they could get upset over this.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No kidding. All these bad ass, retaliatory comments when it would be easiest to just TALK to friendly neighbors. If they love their little pet they would want to know, and would likely act to remedy the problem.

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Absolutely agree - they seem to be good people and they 'will' want to know and rectify the problem

Please try Bess, you will come across as a sensitive soul yourself and all will be well

11. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Trying to talk to them really would be the best to start. One of my issues are people that get pets, then don't think past that. If someone wants a pretty little trophy pet, they should go get a stuffed animal. Behavior problems do start by leaving them alone all the time. My next comment is, if people have kids, would they leave them alone a lot....comment on that....yes, a lot of people, depending the age of the kids do leave them alone a lot. I see it in my town, a lot. So therefore the kids are raising themselves, and develop bad behavior. Step up to the plate and be responsible pet owners. All the toys, pretty beds, treats are not replacements for the love and companionship they so need and expect and deserve. If a person can't do that, go to a store and get a stuffed animal, probably not one with a battery, because in time it will need changed.

Beth Gallagher and Frank Sanoica like this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

From the problems we've encountered with barking dogs, kids wrestling/running around above us, young folks who think it's ok to talk loud outside in the middle of the night, getting annoying neighbor problems handled isn't easy. Hope I'm wrong with her gay neighbors.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know why "gay" is even a part of this discussion. Does a person's sexual persuasion affect how their pets behave? I need to get out more.

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Where did you buy it at????? This would solve things so I don't hurt my neighbors feelings. Normally, I would just tell someone, but they were shunned a bit for being a gay couple and I don't want them to feel I'm accusing their dog because I'm homophobic or something.

Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

The only reason I even mentioned the gay aspect is because they have caught enough attitude from other neighbors for that reason and I don't want to add to it by complaining about their silly dog.