Netflix Price Increase

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Beth Gallagher, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I just got notification of a Netflix subscription price increase effective May 15. The price is increasing to $12.99 and I think I'm going to cancel. Seems like it was $7.99 a month not that long ago and we don't use it enough for it to be worth the price anymore. If we relied on Netflix as our primary provider I suppose the increase wouldn't be a huge deal, but we have a full package from Comcast/Xfinity and Hulu so I am adverse to paying more (and more) for streaming.

I had a suspicion that once people began to "cut the cord" from cable, streaming services would slowly ramp up the price gouging so that it's impossible to get any deals. (I always assume the worst and am quite often correct. :D)

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes Beth..at one time, years ago was $7.99.
    We only have Netflix - and Hulu I keep depending on the seasons. We have not had cable in years. Still cheaper than cable.Not as happy with Netflix as in the begining.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I agree, Gloria. We considered ditching cable last year, but somehow the "bundled" packages always end up a better deal so we just keep the Comcast services (internet/ phone/cable). Hulu had a black Friday deal last November for 99 cents a month for a year, so I signed up for that and frankly it hasn't even been worth that price to us, so I may ditch that as well. Oh, and we also have Amazon Prime. :rolleyes: Sheesh.

I have enjoyed some Netflix shows but as the prices keep rising I have to consider whether it's really worth it. One good thing about streaming services is that there is no contract, so the service can be started/stopped as we wish without penalty.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I just order the movie I like from Amazon, after sampling it on YouTube or knowing it from previous viewing.

Then I have it for good.

Harry

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Do you mean on DVD, or from Amazon video services? I haven't bought a DVD in years; I don't want to have to store them.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is the reason why it is nice that people have so many different options, @Hal Pollner , because different things work better for different people.
    I can see that you would like buying the movie, because you enjoy telling people that you OWN something or another. Then, you actually have a hard copy of the movie and you can watch it whenever you want to see it on your television set.
    However, it costs you as much for just that ONE movie that you purchase, than for being able to choose from literally THOUSANDS of movies for streaming them.

Most movies cost at least $13 to purchase, and more if you are getting the HD version.
    For about $8-$10, I can get a whole month of Netflix , which has over 6,000 movies, old TV full-season series, and documentaries on just about anything I want to learn about.
    I can watch as many of these as I want to, for the whole month... no restrictions....and since it can be used on multiple devices, both Bobby and I can watch as many movies or television shows as we want.
    Other streaming companies, like Hulu or Amazon Prime Video, work about the same way, except with the Amazon one, we can also choose to rent or purchase the movie if we want one that is not part of the thousands of free ones available.

So, it is all about what each person is looking for , to decide what works best for them.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I buy DVDs of movies or series that I know I will watch repeatedly because they sometimes disappear from streaming options.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This is all about the cost of being "entertained"? I venture that @Nancy Hart is much more "entertained' by her endeavors, unusual for a lady, but still enviable for her interest, regarding those things mechanical, technical, those showing challenge, which abound in her existence rather than these mundane considerations generally called "entertainment".

C'mon Nancy, tell us about those entertaining things! How many of us here, for example, could milk a goat?

The "Information Revolution" is, IMO, wonderful and actually miraculous, but at the same time demeaning and paralyzing of individual intellect.

Frank

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Another imponderable facing me, as I often hear and see this term 'streaming": what does it mean??
    Frank

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Streaming is the delivery of audio/video to a viewer via the internet, as opposed to cable TV or OTA (over the air) antenna. You need an internet connection and a decent connection speed to stream media.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I have and use Netflix, Amazon Prime through ROKU. I love ROKU because it connects to so many things. I got rid of cable a long time ago.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Until something better comes along, I'll be sticking with Netflix. Streaming is more reliable than with most of the others, and they have a good selection.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Almost missed this Frank. I bet @Yvonne Smith has done more goat milking than I have. It's painful. Your hands begin to ache in a short while. Fun to learn how, but not something I would want to do often.

To the first point, if you spend most of your life listening to people tell you you can't do something, it becomes a fun challenge, proving to yourself they were wrong. Sometimes they were right, too. Ha!

I think keeping busy is important. No time to sit around and stew over things you can't change. I think I was just lucky, in that I learned to entertain myself, even before I can remember, or so my parents said.

You seem to be the same way.

Sorry for going off topic. Felt obligated to answer.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

An example of streaming would be watching a video on YouTube, @Frank Sanoica . You choose what you want to watch a video about and then you stream/play it on your computer /laptop/mobile device.
    You have not purchased that video, you have not downloaded it to your laptop, you just watched it, and if you want to watch it over and over again , you can do that.

Streaming services like Netflix operate in basically the same way as YouTube does, except that you pay a small monthly fee to be able to watch as much of their movies, tv programs, and documentaries as you want to watch. Whereas, most of the videos on YouTube are short tutorials, or news or funny videos, the ones on Netflix are whole movies (no commercials).
    I do not watch movies very often, like Bobby does, but I really do enjoy watching some of the documentaries , especially ancient history ones, or ones about nature.

15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Nancy Hart
    Anything you say which brightens my day by making me feel better, is OK with me! On-topic, off-topic, or no topic! :)
    Frank