Netflix Series?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Well ……… I would be the same if people actually 'liked' it - no one here is saying they watch a movie because they 'like'
    the swearing. I also don't agree that its 'just a word' its a word that has meaning of course and I would rather it was used
    only because you are hurt or angry, rather than casually - its more than irritating when used continuously

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm actually watching "The Waltons" now. Hope that meets with your approval @Cody Fousnaugh ....also your wife's since she seems to reply through you in every post.

Patsy Faye and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I've said this before and, will say again...….she wants nothing to do with this forum or actually any forum online. She gets totally tired of what some folks say to me about rodeo and stuff like it. I will tell her what I said and she will agree with what I said, because she understands me. IOW, she don't want to argue with you folks about certain beliefs we have that others don't.

Sounds fair enough to me.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Seems like she has a lot to do with this forum since you're always mentioning what she's said about a topic or reply.

Pickles thinks that too. He's not into forums either. :)

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

But I have it on pretty good authority that Pickles is busy writing a book, so he probably doesn’t have time for forums right now. Maybe he will make that into a chapter in his new book ?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

:)

Love it!

His sandals!! Lololol

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

You seem to be VERY "open-minded" and that's fine, but not everyone is. Unlike us, you'd have no problems at all living anywhere here in Florida...…….the "land of "open-minded" people. Like Los Angeles.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

No, I don't want to live in Florida, it's too humid and doesn't have 4 seasons,

Going for a week every once in awhile to my sister's condo is plenty.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Who would have though Netflix would have spawned such emotion. It must be the contributions brought to the network by Susan Rice and the Obamas.

As (I think) people cuss far more often in movies than in real life, there is too much of it. However, there are times when some cussing enhances the reality of a movie. It's hard to watch a movie where the bank-robbing, raping, murdering characters talk like Sunday School teachers at their best.

That said, I would eagerly trade these doses of reality off for something we'll never see again, which is the absence of it. One of, if not the very first movie about a serial killer, "M," managed to portray the suspense, horror, and disgust of a person who murders innocent children without actually showing any little children being murdered. In the most famous scene from the movie, a little girl has a balloon, and she is bouncing a ball against a street post. It's not in English but, on the street post is a notice about the killings. Then, it shows the shadow of the killer on the white sign as he approaches the little girl. Then, it shows the fear, and then the terror in the face of the little girl. The next scene shows the balloon caught on a light post, and it's clear what has happened, and not minus the emotion of it, but without showing the attack, the murder, the blood, or the body.

In other movies, similar things have been done. All you might see of the dead body is a foot. Sex scenes, also, broke away before the actual sex scene.

There was an art in soliciting emotion from an audience within the guidelines of language and violence, and there were those who did that very well. But we'll never put that genie back in the bottle. Even if draconian laws were to be passed, people wouldn't accept that again. It would be like turning a hooker into a virgin.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yvonne, I just noticed that I made a mistake in that sentence. Actually, it should read "People who DON'T use drugs are better than those that do."

Sound better? Looks better to me.

Von Jones likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, for some odd and peculiar reason, we are still watching The Ranch. The "F" word is really, really being said by basically everyone now, including Debra Winger.

What is now kind of sickening to me about this series, it seems to depict young ranchers as heavy drinkers, sex maniacs who definitely like using the "F" word. Definitely not true. Perhaps on Friday/Sat nights some partying went on at a local bar or Barn Dance, but not every night. Just like "Chips" definitely wasn't the true thing about the California Highway Patrol. Being a CHP isn't nearly as glamorous as "Chips" displayed it.

In a way, The Ranch really reminds me of the movie Urban Cowboy, because after working the day at the oil refinery, Bud (John Travolta) has a beer with supper and then heads to Gilley's bar. Then, after marrying Sissy (Debra Winger), they both have a beer at supper and head to Gilley's.

Want a tv series, Netflix wasn't around back then, that is fairly "true-to-life" was Dragnet and Adam-12. Not nearly as much crime back then, so it seemed more real like.

The Ranch is funny as heck, but now it's getting very serious about divorce, selling the ranch, boys moving out and one of the boys seeing a lady who appears to be some years older than him. IOW, the boys love drinking and sex.

Grace & Franky had "F" words in it, but The Ranch is now having the word in it on almost every sentence. Pretty sickening. Very funny, but sickening.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I watched part of one episode of "The Ranch." I didn't hate it but I didn't go back to it, either.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, one thing without a doubt, it sure doesn't depict real ranch life. Just people with really foul mouths, lots of drinking of whiskey/beer, divorce, unwanted pregnancy and boyfriend/girlfriend breakups. But, even with all of this, it's hilariously funny.

Really, really wondering how this series ends.