New Debit Cards With Chip Technology.....

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Chrissy Cross, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Just got this in an email, will be getting a new card in 3-4 weeks. I knew it was coming since I've noticed many places already have the option.

This means I'm going to have to call the places that use my debit card for purchases to give them the new number ...pain in the butt!

The new Chase Debit Card with chip technology does everything your current card does while adding an extra layer of security when used in a chip card reader. In the next 2-4 weeks you’ll receive your new Chase Debit Cardthat will replace your current card. When you receive the new card, pleaseactivate it immediately.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your 16-digit card number and the expiration date

Your three-digit security code on the back of card

At chip-enabled terminals and ATMs, card stays in the terminal until transaction is complete

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Your Personal Identification Number (PIN)

The accounts tied to your card

The card still has the magnetic stripe so you can use it at traditional card readers

[​IMG]

Krissttina Isobe and Terry Page like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My cards were updated with the chips, but kept the same account numbers. Many vendors, including the major grocery chain stores have still not yet updated their cardreaders to utilize the chips. A number of smaller concerns have. I am wondering about all the gasoline dispensers.........

Frank

Lara Moss and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

In the last week I've noticed a few of my supermarkets have replaced their card readers, including Trader Joe's.
    I know Target has been doing the chip readers for awhile now, because while in line with my daughter she gave me her card and told me to go and buy a pizza from Pizza Hut for my grandson. It was a chip reader.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

I have no doubt that given some time, the criminal element will be "reading" chip contents of lost/stolen cards. A security agent calling me from one of my cardholding companies, asked if I had used the card within the past few days 2000 miles from my location. Purchases made at McDonalds and gasoline sellers, I told him hell, no! He asked if I knew the location of my card; I pulled it out of my wallet, just to make sure. Then it hit me: To buy with a card at McDonalds and gasoline marts, ya gotta have a card in your hand; numbers alone won't do it! Instantly, I figured they are duplicating cards somewhere, and selling them clandestinely, and confronted him about that. He grudgingly admitted they believe that's exactly what is happening. He closed the account, and I had a new card in the mail in a few days. Credit card fraud is costing $ Billions each year.
    Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

We have had chip and pin in the UK since 2004 and it's used pretty much worldwide in all ATMs, which is good for me, because my mobile/cell phone case with it's magnetic catch, has wiped all my cards magnetic strips so they will not work in swipe machines.
    We also have the new contactless pay system for small transactions, this could eventually remove the need for cash.

Contactless payment systems are credit cards and debit cards, key fobs, smart cards or other devices, including smartphones and other mobile devices, that use radio-frequency identification (RFID) or near field communication (NFC) for making secure payments. The embedded chip and antenna enable consumers to wave their card, fob, or handheld device over a reader at the point of sale terminal.

Some suppliers claim that transactions can be almost twice as fast as a conventional cash, credit, or debit card purchase. Because no signature or PIN verification is typically required, contactless purchases are typically limited. Those unauthorized may still take advantage of contactless payment systems as no identification occurs before payment except for certain devices, such as when using mobile payments. However, owners can block transactions, and that may provide a relatively short time frame, if any, for fraudulent activities to occur.

Research indicates that consumers are likely to spend more money using their cards due to the ease of small transactions.[1]MasterCard Canada says it has seen "about 25 percent" higher spending by users of its PayPass-brand RFID credit cards.[

2016-03-08_102328.jpg

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I got a new card about a year ago but nothing changed about it...except they added a chip to it. I use it at Trader Joe's but that's the only place that needs it so far. My grocery store had a reader and then stopped because they had so much trouble with it they said.

8. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I've had mine for awhile now. First used the new way at Walgreens, I kept pulling it back out, lol even though the screen said Leave the card in!

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Lol, yes. I did that too with my daughter's.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Wish my bank didn't change my number, would have made it easier for me. I just used my debit card at TJ's yesterday but the old fashioned way. They did have a new card reader though, in fact now that I think about it, walgreens had a new reader too but none required the chip. I'm going to start paying closer attention.

Lara Moss likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A couple of my cards have the chips and when I was in Washington, D.C. a few month ago, there were places that used them but I haven't come across anyone with a card reader that accepts them here.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I haven't yet in Fresno either. The Target was by my daughter.

I wonder if the new readers that I'm seeing everywhere this week have both options. I know they have the old way but I didn't even think to look if it had a chip reader, but then if I remember right the one I saw at Target looked different. If they are either one or the other, why are all these stores in my area replacing the card readers all about the same time. Hmmmm, maybe I better have some cash on hand just in case.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I got a chip card and I got to insert it differently at stores. It's okay, as long it's safe. I saw commercials where some bad ones can read your credit card info while it's in your purse or wallet, so buy their protected wallet.

Thanks for the information!

14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

The cardreaders here at Safeway and Smiths contain both options built in the same machine. They have taped a small sign over the chip reader slot saying "Slide Card".

Frank

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm going out tomorrow and I'm going to pay attention.:)