New From Alaska

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Don Alaska, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I guess I should intro here. I have lived in Alaska the last 29 years, the first three in rural Alaska. We have raised 6 children, have 12 grandchildren so far and have been married 41 years so far. I have large gardens, four greenhouses--three small ones and one fairly large. We have had livestock, poultry, sled dogs and enjoyed a varied and healthy lifestyle here. I use "we" a lot, as my life partner has been a major part in everything that goes on in life.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum, Don. Alaska is one of only a few states that I have never been to. I would love to, but don't suppose I will.

3. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum, there are alot of good people on here. Looking forward to hearing more about you and Alaska.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Wellcome, Don.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have never been to Alaska either, and I am looking forward to hearing some of your stories about the green houses, livestock, sled dogs, and all of the rest of it.
    Welcome to the forum, @Don Alaska , and I think that you will soon feel right at home here. We have people from all over the United States, the UK, and Australia, not to forget Canada, either.
    I am originally from northern Idaho; but now living in the southern state of Alabama so that I can live closer to my daughter. We live in town now; but I have almost always lived in the country, and had horses and other livestock (but never any sled dogs).

6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

hey Don.....from Alaska Huh?...WoW...what a wonderful place, I don't think we've ever had anyone here from that part of the world..

Welcome-Laptop-Picture.gif ...From London England

7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I have never been to the UK, but I have been to most of the other places you listed. We moved here from South Georgia near Valdosta. I have visited most of the provinces in Canada--missed the Maritimes and Manitoba as well as the Northwest Territories or whatever it is now called. We have been trying to fit in a trip to the UK, but it has not yet worked out. One of our sons spent several months in Ireland with visits to much of the rest of Europe. Hopefully someday before my time runs out....

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Never been to Alaska, but 99% of the people where we live (northeastern Florida or the entire state) would never understand why anyone would chose to live in any state that has a winter of snow/ice. We use to think that way, when we first moved here, but not any more. We've had our experiences with "Old Man Winter" when living south of Denver, Colorado for 5 1/2 years. Also, living in northeastern Indiana as a "farm boy" (me) and southeastern Michigan (my wife). She loved winter back then. Now we are making plans on moving out of Florida and back to either Colorado (northern) or possibly southern Wyoming.

We had a "snow dog" Husky when we lived in Colorado. She was 3 years old and half Malamute and half Siberian. She absolutely loved snow, but also liked going out on our bowrider boat on local lake during the summer.

Anyway, WELCOME to a very nice and interesting forum.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum Don.

An easy going place with a nice mix of good people.

I got to spend a year on one of the Aleutian Islands in the mid 70's,
    doing that 'Cold War' listening.
    We were closer to Russia than Anchorage, so not sure that counts.
    Was only on the mainland part of Alaska for a couple of days.

Would like to go back for some fishing.

Again, welcome.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Maryt Hope

Maryt Hope Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum .

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Thanks for posting that. The Klondike gold rush actually took place in Canada, but the stuff referred to in the song was actually in Alaska. The White Mountain mentioned is now one of the final checkpoints on the Iditarod dog sled race.

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Registered

I did think after I posted it that you might just be a little tired of that song @Don Alaska , sorry if you are...

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome, @Don Alaska. One thing on my bucket list is take an Alaskan cruise. I am told that the scenery is without equal.